HIPs are dead ?

HIPs are dead ? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10130254.stm But the energy certifcate is being kept. So the energy assessors will not all lose their jobs. I'm of mixed opinion, since I have a friend who has a business based on energy surveys. Simon.

All the domestic ones I've come across are simple box ticking exercises that could be done by a trained monkey. Unless he's any different, do him a favour and tell him to get a proper job.
MBQ
In article

Yes. While energy assessment is a good idea in principle, there's a big difference between, yes, house has DG, good - <tick!>, and does house have *effective* DG?
You really need to measure things under adverse conditions, such as a howling north wind at -5C, such as we had last winter. This showed:
1) no sealing around where soil pipe exited bathroom 2) bathroom ceiling fan fixture allows air to be blown back in when fan not on 3) various DG windows leaking air inwards
None obvious to the box-ticker, but all contributing to piss-poor energy-efficiency of house.
--
Tim

I didn't say he agreed with it. But he is making money out of it ;-) Simon.

Tell him to get a conscience, then ;-)
MBQ
On 20/05/10 11:18, sm_jamieson wrote:

Good - one bit of pointless crap shoved in the bin. Several thousand more to go...
Pity Cameron hasn't grown enough balls yet to tell the EU to stuff the Energy Assessment up Von Rompui's backend....
--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.

The housing minister was interviewed on You and Yours (Radio 4, just after midday). I only caught the end of it, but they are planning on using the EPC for some future legislation relating to carrying forward cost of energy saving measures over long payback periods.
EU never required the EPC. It merely required governments to gather some overall statistics on the energy efficiency of the housing stock. This could be based on the sampled surveys local authorities have to do anyway. However, it was converted into gold plated bollocks in this country, as is very often the case.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 20/05/10 13:12, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

That is interesting... So I wonder why Cameron didn't scrap the EA and make a clean deal of it?
--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.

Because there is already a fuss about how many HIP "inspectors" will be put on the dole?

They hit the nail on the head. These inbreds have no idea. HIPS is a great idea and should have been tightened to what it was originally intended.

Cameron has the balls, but they are firmly gripped by Clegg. ;-)

Of come off it, the Liberals haven't had anyone by the balls since the days of Jeremy Thorpe
Does Cameron have a dog?

They are at each others throats already!

On 21/05/10 14:32, Doctor Drivel wrote:

Only the media (who are bored and/or too lazy to do some proper investigative journalism somewhere else) claim that.
I don't expect the first coalition for decades to be an easy ride, but I will be quite pleased if they can make it work as it will be a new age of politics, possibly for the better.
Although I *do* wonder what Cameron thinks he's doing with the 1922 Committee. he's got enough *real* problems without creating more.
--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.

What will be better? The incompetent Tories are still in charge. Will we have PR? Er, er, no. What we needs is:
* PR introduced at Westminster - although to their credit Labour introduced them elsewhere. * House of Lords fully democratic using PR - although to their credit Labour started the process * Impose a limit or equal election budgets - the Tories had more than the Lib Dems and Labour combined. The election was not fair. * Prevent foreign companies owning UK media - the USA will not have this at all in the US. * Oxbridge prevented from ruling the corridors of power in government, military, judiciary, etc - we do not have a meritocracy despite having 99 universities, ruled by an elite privileged private school clique as the recent cabinet proved. * Attack the landed aristocracy who own most of the UKs land - Land Valuation Tax, a Lib Dem favourite, would have sorted them out, naturally redistributed land and evened out the wealth in the UK. * Revamp the appalling planning system - only 7.5% of the land is settled.
I can't see any of that done above by the self-interest Tories.
Energy bit is an EU requirement. Needs a FLIR camera to do it properly, particularly CWI which is qualitative not just quantitative if someone tries a rush job.
js.b1 wrote:

For fuck's sake js.b1 - will you PLEASE not cut out all of the message(s) that you're replying to. Cutting superfluous text is good netiquette but someone coming along later needs SOME form of context for your postings to make sense. You're taking the time and effort to sit at the keyboard and type, so presumably you want someone to read what you're saying. Please make it easier for us to do so.
On 20/05/2010 13:30, John wrote:

You could just look at the previous message in the thread - that is what they are there for.
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

But due to the vagaries of NNTP servers and/or OE, sometimes messages go missing. It's not rocket science to leave in pertinent content of previous messagesd when replying - it's even considered 'good practice' and 'good netiquette' but js.b1 NEVER does it.

And hence is a resident of my killfile.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 68th day of Discord in the YOLD 3176