HIPs are dead ?

But due to the vagaries of NNTP servers and/or OE, sometimes messages go missing. It's not rocket science to leave in pertinent content of previous messagesd when replying - it's even considered 'good practice' and 'good netiquette' but js.b1 NEVER does it.

Reply to
John

IME the thing that slows up house purchases is people making offers on houses which they cannot afford.

Every one of my "offers" that has failed to complete has done so because the buyer couldn't afford the mortgage that that thought they could.

ISTM that the best way to speed up purchases is to compel buyers to have had the salary upon which their mortgage offer is based verified before they go around offering on houses that they can't afford, not after.

But, of course that would make extra work for the Bank's and they can shout louder than individual sellers

tim

Reply to
tim....

And hence is a resident of my killfile.

Reply to
Huge

I would be far more worried about what isn't in the HIP but is well known about on the local grapevine. Plans for a new road or housing estate don't just suddenly happen.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Did you see the episode of (re)location... where a c*ck up by one of the agents led to the winning bidders dicsovering they had effectively overbid by almost =A3100,000? Sounds like a wonderful system. They managed to get out of it, fortunately.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Any/all of which can happen between exchange of contracts and completion in the current system. There's nothing (other than laggardly solicitors) preventing exchange of contracts happening much earlier.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Man at B&Q" saying something like:

In other words, they bid what they thought it was worth to them. Tough shit.

It works quite well, most of the time.

Weaseled out, you mean.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I have been involved in two property transactions where exchange of contracts and completion happened on the same day.

Reply to
Bruce

If js.b1 upsets you so much, why not put him in your kill file? You will never have to see any of the "upsetting" messages again.

On the other hand, you would miss out, because js.b1 is one of the more informative posters on here.

Getting irrationally upset when arbitrary rules are not followed is possibly a sign of mental illness.

Reply to
Bruce

Daily Wail please, a newspaper which should be directed straight into recycling bins rather than grace any letterbox or floor.

Reply to
js.b1

I suspect because England could never bring itself to "adopt the Scottish system, lock stock and barrel " on principle, no matter what the issue or its virtues were.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

A recipe for disaster if you arse me. One party can hold the other to ransom the day before. No, getting a contract signed *early* in the process with the main items (like, price) fixed is the way to go. I also recall that in my US transactions (buying and selling), the buyer hands over $1k at signature. Forfeited if the buyer walked away - no excuses.

Reply to
Tim Streater

  1. OE doesn't have the ability to killfile
  2. Yes, I am mentally ill and have the paperwork to prove it
  3. Rules, arbitrary or not, have been laid down and when followed, make for a better experience for everyone
  4. What's the reasoning and the rationale behind cutting out all of the previous text? What can be gained from it and why would someone do it? Why not just be a good 'netizen' and practice good netiquette?
Reply to
John

"John" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

A bad workman...

Reply to
Adrian

Now that is perfectly sensible IMO. It sorts out the time wasters, without being ruinously punitive if something very unexpected happens (remember, if chains are involved, the process from here until completion could take months).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I suspect you're right. There is also the problem that, while most people recognise the need for change, they still want to be able to behave as before with gazumping, pulling out on a whim, making spurious offers that aren't followed up, putting their houses on the market for fun without any serious intention to sell, etc., etc..

The Scottish system would put an end to almost all of that. But "all of that" is just a game that the English seem to enjoy. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Never used OE. But having got fed up with the foibles of knode and pan, I've finally switched to Thunderbird and find it a most acceptable news reader. It does quote correctly as far as my observations go.

?

I agree. The "rules" aren't there to beat someone over the head with if they err occasionally, but are good guidelines developed over the years to make it easier on the majority of people. Quoting text does make it easier (I read news with "hide read messages" enabled, so skipping back to the PP means wibbling around in the menu twice (OK one day I shall work out how to bind a key to the threadview menu items, but it seemed non obvious last time I tried).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Touche :o)

I'm in the process of going over to Win7 and believe OE doesn't work with that, so hoping to get to grips with Thunderbird soon. Been using OE (or whatever it was called at the time) since Win95 so 'bout time I saw what other mail clients offer anyway I suppose.

Reply to
John

Come on - that's like blaming the apprentice when he makes a pigs ear of fine joinery because all he was given was a butter knife ;->>>

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

ITYM "because all that was to hand without having to walk two or three steps was a butter knife..."

Reply to
Adrian