HIPs are dead ?

Wibble indeed :o)

Potted history: Cable jointer on BT, suffered back injury at work that led to spinal surgery and medical retirement from BT. Went back to college to start learning stuff for a new career. Got 2/3 of way through a degree in physiology and pharmacology but the constant pain from my back (and I really do mean 24/7 pain) got me down and started suffering from depression and couldn't do the work.

Doctors note needed for uni said "To whom it may concern. This is to confirm that Mr. xxx is under my care at the moment suffering from a mental illness......"

So I'm a loony, I've got the paperwork to prove it, and my missus never lets me live it down :o)

Reply to
John

Then why did you choose to use OE? Get yourself a newsreader.

Getting irrationally upset when arbitrary rules are not followed is possibly a sign of mental illness. You should consult your GP.

Reply to
Bruce

They are at each others throats already!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

See my reply to Adrian at 13.41

See my reply to Tim Watts at 13.56

Reply to
John

Doesn't even know how to use "Block Sender"...

Reply to
Clive George

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bruce saying something like:

The Scottish system is also (as in England) plagued with time-wasters who spend their entire hobby hours going round houses for sale just so they can gawp at others' dwellings/decor/kitchens/etc, with no intention of actually ever buying a place.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Who said that I wanted to killfile/block him/her anyway? I didn't.

Reply to
John

So have I, but that's the opposite end of the scale.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I'll decline that offer, thank you.

In my case all parties *wanted* to move. It was other issues which led to late exchange.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Only the media (who are bored and/or too lazy to do some proper investigative journalism somewhere else) claim that.

I don't expect the first coalition for decades to be an easy ride, but I will be quite pleased if they can make it work as it will be a new age of politics, possibly for the better.

Although I *do* wonder what Cameron thinks he's doing with the 1922 Committee. he's got enough *real* problems without creating more.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Needing a full structural survey is relatively rare. More to the point if you don't commission your own survey then you are never going to be quite sure what parameters were set by the person that did commission it (or for that matter, have the ability to steer it to look at the aspects that you are particularly interested in)

Reply to
John Rumm

I can see a potential problem with their system if used here, in that it tends to encourage over bidding[1]. Good for a seller obviously, but in a climate with rising prices and strong competition for decent ones, it would tend to escalate the inflation rate for housing stock - especially in the south east.

[1] If my understanding is correct, its not uncommon to say "bids in excess of £300K", but actually expect bidders to go 20% over that or more.
Reply to
John Rumm

In most things in life, if you enter into a binding contract, there is no onus on the other party to release you from it arbitrarily just because you have changed your mind (cooling off periods or explicit clauses excepted).

If these things had happened a week after completion, would you expect to backtrack on the deal then?

Reply to
John Rumm

Agreed. But at least under the English system you don't have to pay for the survey until you know whether the seller is going to accept your price.

Reply to
Andrew May

It might be an assumption that scrapping hips is the only planned part of the current "reform". You never know - they may actually fix what is broke as well!

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bruce saying something like:

Is this a hardware or kitchen goods store? Only that there seem to be a few pots and kettles in here, of a distinctly dark hue.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I have no doubt it is also plagued with time-wasters who put their house on the market just to get hordes of people around to see it, but never with the slightest intention of selling.

You cannot prohibit human nature and the often bizarre behaviour that goes with it.

Reply to
Bruce

But you can stop it going beyond a certain point using the mechanisms we have been discussing.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Most offers under Scottish system are now `subject to satisfactory survey` amongst pile of other conditions.

Sealed bid auctions sets the price at what the buyer is prepared to pay, even if thats a lot more than next keenest buyer, but overs in region of is lot more common now....

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Yes it does (right click, junk mail, add to blocked). Also you should have switched to live mail as OE is not maintained since live mail replaced it.

Reply to
dennis