Alside replacement windows/siding

I'm getting estimates for windows and siding for my 50+ year old house. I was hoping to find a general contractor, who could also take care of some other minor carpentry things, but they only seem to want to do gut-and-remodel and add-a-level jobs these days. The job involves windows, siding, and since I am having windows in tile tub surrounds replaced with more appropriate windows, some finish work in the tub surrounds -- to the extent of putting the appropriate backerboard on...I will do the tiling.

I spoke with a company I found through one of the referral/portal sites. They are in the next state from me, but close by.

They sell exclusively Alside products.

The sales rep showed me the Alside siding, and what the differences are from cheapo siding. Same deal with the windows. The line he showed me was the Excalibur line. The siding looked good, but what do I know? The backer board is 1/2", with a 3.8 R-value.

I have Andersen tilt-wash windows upstairs, and was hoping to get them put in the rest of the house, but I'll be damned if I can find a contractor who does windows and/or siding and will do new construction windows like that. It seems that if you can't get a GC, you can't get these windows installed.

I don't have any de facto OBJECTION to vinyl replacement windows, but I've heard they leak, crack, are no good after 5 years, etc. I only want to do this ONCE and forget about it. So what's the deal with these windows? This company quoted me just over $400 each, installed, including trim work.

The company has been in business just over 3 years. They use their own contractors and also "freelancers" -- but not day laborers. They showed me the liability insurance certificate and said they have workman's comp as well and would show me that if I decide to do business with them. I have 3 references but one of them is the rep's friend.

I know the rule of thumb is to do business with companies that have been in business 5 years or more, but would this outfit be a huge risk? The prices seem to be fair, and within the budget that I estimated based on talking to other people who have had similar work done.

Thoughts?

Reply to
JC

R 3.8 for 1/2 inch board. Gee new products I havnt heard of . So Id say its a lie or you missread the R value. R 7.2 for foilfaced foam board is the highest Ive heard of.

3 refrences , thats a joke. what happened to the other 33, are they in court? Yes Ck court records. Oh, I mean 2. He brought you liability but wont give Work Comp till you sign ! Put it in the contract as a reason to cancel. But I dought he has it anyway. Plus you dont let him bring you anything, You call the insurance broker and request copies and any cancelation. But I bet you never see it. It doesnt exist.

Lisenced in your state, insured to.

You have Andersons , yes Low E argon? Windows- glass, are not made equal. There are several important certified ratings, Even Pella doesnt perform as well as Anderson in winter Condensation. Read - Subscribe to consumer Reports online. A good article on allot of things you are missing in your pick.

What zone are you- location. What R value center and total are the windows.

I have Anderson LowE argon and Pella Pro line Low E argon , The Pella suck compared to Anderson on me wiping off the water all winter. You need comparitive ratings.

You actualy have 2 refrences, and their subs "freelancers" wont have work comp I will bet, Or can Exclude the Boss-Owner, Your Job foreman.

Then comes the install, be sure to check your self, Plumb, Level and Square, Anderson allows 1/8 " max or your waranty is Void. Nada, NG. Before you pay.

Id say call a Anderson factory installer, good product, and you have a warranty { CK with Anderson if they back up Screw ups like PLS} Then get a separate siding Co. Unless of course all the 100 questions you now need to answer confirm out. Have fun

Reply to
m Ransley

Last time I looked, 7.2 is higher than 3.8. So what's the problem? Other people I've talked to use a foam board with R value of 3.

That seemed kind of skimpy. The rep didn't say they don't have more, but that's all he brought.

He didn't have the certificate, but did not refuse to show it till contract signed; he just didn't have it with him. Could be a sign of disorganized rep more so than lack of insurance.

So if not insured in my state, the existing insurance isn't valid?

That's another thing...there's no job foreman. Supposedly the boss-owner comes in at beginning and end of job.

And I think it'd be a nightmare getting insurance certs from the subs.

I'd be happy to do that, but Andersen doesn't have a search capability on their site to get a factory certified installer. (CertainTeed has this on their site, and I have contacted a few places that they certify for siding.) So where can I find this?

Thanks.

Reply to
JC

I forgot to say inch. But he quoted you 3.8R for 1/2 inch right. That is 7.6 R per inch. 7.2 R per inch is the highest I know of if it is dual foil faced foam board. R 5 - 1" is normal of pink - blue foamboard. White foamboard is R 3.5 per inch. White is not exterior stabile, it will deteriorate with UV and maybe time. Call Anderson I had a factory intsaller come out. You need to ck refrences and know the co better I learned the hard way, in court, won and cant collect and the wife has a mercedes. Allot can go wrong .

Reply to
m Ransley