Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: St Patrick's Day
An Irishman, an Englishman and a Scot were sitting in a bar. The view was fantastic, the beer excellent, and the food exceptional. "Y'know," said the Scotsman, "I still prefer the pubs back home. Why,...
8
8

O/T: A Visit From Vido
It's possible for one mindset to learn the methodologies of another. It gives them an understanding and that's usually a good thing. Some who spend ALL their lives in government have no concept (i.e.,...
38
38

INSPIRATION (a joat ripoff)
My father gave this to me when I was twelve and I just passed it on to my twelve year old son. We could all use it. If you can keep your head when all about you Are losing theirs and blaming it on...
1
1

Is horse chestnut wood good for anything?
Sounds like it might be good for carving though, depending on how soft it is. You mention Aspen along with Poplar. Poplar is reasonably hard while aspen is much like basswood.
117
117

High chair plans
Granddaughter is just about ready for a high chair ... and I'm looking for plans. I see that Rockler has a set. Couldn't find anything else. Any of you wrekkers ever build one? I'm just looking for...
9
9

Melamine sheets at Home Depot
Thanks for the link and the info, Chris. Again, I had it in my head I knew what he was talking about: EITHER the stuff I mentioned, OR the 1/8" - 3/16" thick sheets of paneling (MDF hardboard) clad...
26
26

High Island Export
I just received my shipment of various hardwoods from High Island Export and I am very pleased with the results. I highly recommend them... Marty

How do I take care of a burl?
I found a burl on the stump of an oak that has been cut for 5-6 years. If I take it off what are the chances that it is good? What should I do with it? Should I slice it up? Will it need dried like...
2
2

"treated" wood
"notbob" wrote Use treated wood by all means, and, if there is ground contact, make sure you get the type that is labeled for "ground contact". Just ask.
32
32

Anyone got a Grizzly G0690/G0691?
If anyone here's bought one of these new saws, I'd be interested in their opinion. Price point looks compelling for a riving knife cabinet saw, and their other cabinet saws have reviewed well......
4
4

DeWalt 733 planer *thunk*
Took it apart and the chain has a bad link. Stiff as can be. Tried flexing it back & forth. Gave up & ordered $4 replacement chain from repair center. Thanks for all the help! Happy St. Paddy's
34
34

Power for the shop
Back in Nov. I did just that. It cost me about $375 for a new panel, breakers, plus a 12ft run for my 220v space heater. It took about half a day. The electrician was happy to get the work and I was...
34
34

OT? *BIG* Woodworking Project
Beavers. lol! Makes sense. They heat up during the day, cool off at night. Those things aren't insulated very to begin with.
29
29

OT: Quote
Good for her! Not many modern women appreciate the making of a man. Here's another good quote: ------ Remember us, he said to me. That was his hope. "Go tell a Spartan, passer-by, That here, by...
17
17

Getting surface planer back up and running
After a bit of a hiatus, I'm getting ready to make sawdust again. I'm reading over the manual for my Delta 13" planer, and it recommends "extreme pressure lithium grease" to lubricate the gears. Where...
5
5