How do I take care of a burl?

I found a burl on the stump of an oak that has been cut for 5-6 years. If I take it off what are the chances that it is good? What should I do with it? Should I slice it up? Will it need dried like any other wood?

Reply to
sbnjhfty

In that much time the fungi and other microbes have probably found it too, and are well on the way to recycling it. Unless the stump sprouted and is still alive.

Chainsaw it off and have a look.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

It does need to be dried. You could slice it up but I'd use it for turning.

Reply to
burtwitlin