Melamine sheets at Home Depot

And they weren't any help at the pro desk?

I ordered a couple sheets awhile back from Lowe's....

Reply to
CW

No, but they may be confused by the word "melamine". I went in to buy a couple sheets of laminate, asked where they were and they showed me the melamine PB. Try asking for "laminate".

Reply to
dadiOH

Melamine PB is a low-pressure laminate, while Formica and the like are high-pressure laminate.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

The HD near me used to carry melamine particle board in 3/4" x 49 x 97 sheets, but I can't find it there any more -- and trying to find an employee who knows what I'm talking about, well.... HD's web site isn't any help, either.

Anybody know what their stock number is for that stuff?

Reply to
Doug Miller

The first (and only) time I saw 3/4" in stock it was leftover from another customer's (large) special order. It was a one time deal, and apparently as not something that's kept on hand (at my big-box stores anyway).

Reply to
CW

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:o7wvl.9690$% snipped-for-privacy@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com:

My local HD got rid of their 4x8 panels last fall. However, Menards still carries them.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

It appears that we're all assuming we know exactly that the OP's talking about. Perhaps he needs to clarify. When he says "particle board" that could mean paneling -- but only if it's 1/8" thick (or so) and not 3/4" thick. I assumed, because of the thickness that he's talking about MDF. But it could be that he does mean paneling and that his dimensions are off....

Once upon a time.. I ran across sheets of 3/4" MDF (clad 2 sides in melamine) at Lowes. I'd never seen it in stock before. It seemed like it'd save time. I figured I'd use it for table tops, cabinets, shelves, etc for the shop/garage." And so I bought a couple sheets. Since then, I've used it for fixtures, wheeled cabinets, and various cross-cut sleds as well.

Reply to
CW

Particleboard is available in a range of thicknesses, 3/4" is a common size. Wikipedia has a decent article:

and particleboard are both available in a wide range of panel sizes and thicknesses. Around here, melamine-covered panels (for use in kitchen cabinets, for instance) are generally made from particleboard, not MDF.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

It's not MDF and it is 3/4" thick. It's the particle board that you find under the pictures of wood in crappy furniture. The HD's around here have always had it, at least in the 2'x4' quarter sheets, never looked for the full sheets. But then I haven't been in there in a couple years.

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

Thanks for the link and the info, Chris.

Again, I had it in my head I knew what he was talking about: EITHER the stuff I mentioned, OR the 1/8" - 3/16" thick sheets of paneling (MDF hardboard) clad one side in melamine, like is used in low-cost shower installs. I wasn't thinking covered particle board. But ONLY because I'd never seen the big-box stores here carry such a thing.

Suppose you could say I was unable to think outside the box.... ; )

Reply to
CW

Yes, I know. I didn't want the mel board, wanted laminate...my point was that the HD employee thought mel board was laminate; therefore, it is possible that...

Oh, nevermind :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Mighta been... if there had been anyone there. :-(

Thanks, didn't know they carried it. I'll check there.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I know what you meant, I'm just not sure it would help. If I asked for "laminate" I'd be worried about being pointed to the flooring department. :)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Well, if you are you are. Won't be the last time you'll wander all over a Home Depot looking for something that nobody can find.

Wanted a particular kind of Y hose fitting one day. Went into Lowes, everybody I asked referred me to a different department, finally the manager told me that they didn't have such a thing. So I went out to the car, cranked up my laptop, ordered it online from that store, had lunch, went back after lunch, and they had it waiting for me.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Last time I was in Home Depot they had a stack of 4x8 sheets of 3/4 inch particle board, not MDF, with melamine on both sides. It was right next to the UV maple plywood and the cut sheets.

Now, finding melamine faced MDF around here is another story . . .

Reply to
J. Clarke

Looking it up on my Worksite CD, the SKU is 461877, the price is $31.67.

Reply to
DT

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:37:13 GMT, Doug Miller cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

There is no stock number (or SKU) once the product is discontinued.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

: > > The HD near me used to carry melamine particle board in 3/4" x

49 x 97 : > > sheets, but I can't find it there any more -- and trying to find an : > > employee who knows what I'm talking about, well.... HD's web site : > > isn't any help, either. : > >

: > > Anybody know what their stock number is for that stuff? : > >

: >

: > My local HD got rid of their 4x8 panels last fall. However, Menards still : > carries them. : : It appears that we're all assuming we know exactly that the OP's talking : about. Perhaps he needs to clarify. When he says "particle board" that : could mean paneling -- but only if it's 1/8" thick (or so) and not

3/4" thick. : I assumed, because of the thickness that he's talking about MDF. But it : could be that he does mean paneling and that his dimensions are off.... : : Once upon a time.. : I ran across sheets of 3/4" MDF (clad 2 sides in melamine) at Lowes. : I'd never seen it in stock before. It seemed like it'd save time. I : figured I'd use it for table tops, cabinets, shelves, etc for the : shop/garage." And so I bought a couple sheets. Since then, I've used : it for fixtures, wheeled cabinets, and various cross-cut sleds as well.

Actually, I've never seen this stuff in HD. Any time I needed some I always got it at Lowe's.

Len

Reply to
Len

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 23:46:23 -0400, DT cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Seems to be a discontinued SKU. How old is your Worksite CD?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Well, I just updated the current prices and it is still listed. The Worksite CD is store specific, so perhaps the melamine is available in some areas?

Reply to
DT