home depot

i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves about hd? anything in particular?

Reply to
SeaKan

Most of my peeves come when I either can't find an associate, which is usually a staffing issue, or when I do find one and s/he doesn't know enough about the product(s) or have enough how-to knowledge to help me...

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Ditto Boatright's complaint plus aisles filled with "stuff".

Reply to
dadiOH

I would like to see lines of higher quality products along with consumer information explaining why they are better and more expensive.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I hate it when personnel finish helping a customer, and then don't look around to see if there might be another customer who needs assistance. Make eye contact or ask. Don't just wander away like a mental patient who's largely sedated.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Many of the "associates" are not customer oriented.

Just one example. I needed a sheet of plywood cut and the "associate" complained that he had other work to do. THIS IS HIS JOB to cut sheet goods.

Some "associates" are knowledgeable, but others can't tell you where the restrooms are.

The merchandise is strictly mass market goods. If you want a better quality, off to the local stores. I'd never buy another screw at HD as they are strictly junk compared to what I get at many other places. HD is good for lightbulbs, some tools, and a few brand name commodity items, but not a consideration for appliances (better service and pricing locally) or a decent grade of lumber. I bought my Pella patio door at the dealer right cross from HD as the HD store only sold a cheap version, not the better grade.

BTW, why do stores use the term "associate" when you are really a retail clerk? There is no shame in that and I imaging the pay is about the same.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Just associates.

Reply to
PanHandler

Unlike some previous posters, I have had very little problem getting help in our local HD. There are knowledgeable staff in the tool/hardware/plumbing areas that I frequent.

My complaint is that the stock of repair/replacement parts and accessories is limited and only for whatever line they are currently pushing. I can buy something like a faucet or a door lock and a year later, all the related items are off the shelves.

Reply to
Robert Haar

I find that one often enough. If I need the associate to get something from an upper shelf, I find that if I start to move one of those stairs on wheels, someone usually comes pretty quickly! ;-)

While I have run into associates who are lacking in the product knowledge area (I recently needed a cut piece of 14/2 BX cable -- when I asked for

3 metres of 14/2 BX he responded, "BX?" -- not a good sign!), my bigger peeve is quite the opposite.

I usually just need someone to get something from an upper shelf (see my solution above!). Since HD prides itself in hiring associates with trade knowledge, every idiot who can't spend an hour reading a book or looking on web pages or in Usenet have to monopolize associates' time with questions that are answered in books usually on display within a few yards of where they are asking the questions.

I just need a ladder-climber, sometimes one with a little strength.

But I have to wait for Mr. Idiot to ask his 423 questions to the associate (if I'm lucky -- usually there are five Mr. Idiots with just as many questions ahead of me!).

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

1) Are you experienced with any kind of home repair at all? Gardening? Anything? If not, then all you can really do is tell people where things are, right? 2) Arrive at work 15-30 minutes early, and tell your boss to leave you alone while you slowly wander the store, getting to know where things are. There's nothing more annoying than asking an associate where to find a product, only to have the associate say "I think it's aisle 14 - let's look", and take you for a walk. I don't need to take a walk with someone else who doesn't know where something is. I can walk alone, and probably faster.
Reply to
Doug Kanter

One thing I hate about the HD we have in our town, is once you finally succeed in finding what you are looking for, then try to check out, you can't get out of the place.

There's numerous checkout lanes, with only 1 staffed. It's getting like that everywhere though unfortunately. When a company/business looks to cut overhead costs, and increase its profits, it seems it always points its finger to the employees. Mark

Reply to
Mark D

What do you mean by Associate ? outside vendor? I would agree with most everything I've read ( except the one person that never has a problem ) I would add NO checkers I have left many full carts and walked out. I go to Lowes first they have checkers less than 1/4 Mile apart. The one that put me over the edge Special order God help you if you do, I never seen something more screwed up in my life. Brings the saying "You got my Money, what happened to my service?" HOME DEPOT the store you love to hate.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

The other day I was looking a light bulbs, the guy dropped a box and I pulled out a bulb off a display that was broke, He would not respond to my stating this and when I found A 4 pack of floodlights misspriced he ignored me. Oh well we all have bad days it happens everywhere.. Get some doughnuts for the Free coffee.

Reply to
m Ransley

H D is very limited on what they have to offer on the shelve, very poor selection.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Poorly educated associates who don't capitalize...

Reply to
Patrick Cleburne

Was recently in Mesa, AZ. Went to two different HDs and only one checkout lane staffed at each. Several customers just left their carts and walked out the door. I asked a manager why and he said they can't get people to come work for them. He said they even hit the malls to recruit people but they either don't show up or can't pass the drug test when they do. At one, I figured out that the one checker they had was called out of bed on his day off to come in at the last minute because someone didn't show up for work, from what he was saying to other associates. I think by the way, that the word "associates" was started by WalMart to make their employees feel better about working for so little money. Kind of like giving someone a title rather than a raise. Tom

Reply to
Tom

Why are pnuematic nailers in with the nails and not the power tools/air compressors? I know, a minor point. I'd say not being to find an associate when needed. I know you have work to do and having worked in retail it is very difficult to do your work once the store is open. Perhaps one associate should have an orange jacket and that would be the person you ask for assistance. The other asssicate(s) in the area may then get their work done, or at least more of it. Or, they'll need to hire an overnight crew to do the required work while the store is closed and allow the retail hour associates to assist customers. We did this in 24-hour grocery stores and it worked very well for the price of the overnight premium.

Reply to
John

Your bold and brave to be asking such a question

Ever looked at the grocery carts? Fine for groceries. Put a 8 foot 2by across one and push it around. Checker locations are not set up for anything of length.

Just how hard would be to have a cart that locks it's wheels? Ever tried to load drywall by yourself?

Reply to
SQLit

My pet peeve has been eliminated. Your empoloyer just installed self check out lanes in the HD nearest to me. Halleluiah! Nobody else seems to want to use them. I'm in and out in a flash.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

it always amazes me when companies talk about how they can't hire people. if you pay decent wages, you'll get people. simple economics. to hear them tell it, you'd think they were required by law to limit wages.

bill

Reply to
rider89