Subject Author Posted Replies

UPDATE on the STAINING question
Many thanks to all who replied with suggestions. VERY long day,(yesterday) so very long story short: Spoke to the gal in the flooring dept at HD, she assured me they do NOT sell white oak flooring....

Question on cutting with Compount miter saw
I was looking at pictures of DEWALT DW713 10-Inch Compound Miter Saw at Amazon. don't have a miter saw, but I've been looking for a while. In the 3rd picture they show crown molding being cut with it...
25
25

What typical finishes were used on pianos?
My neighbor had a gift piano moved, and unfortunately, the movers put a leaky tarp on it and it got wet. Then my neighbors didn't uncover it as soon as it arrived and it sat, covered and wet, for...
6
6

Qx - Straightening a Cupped Panel
Background: Doing some volunteer work for one of our senior lady clients. Changed out a faucet seat and washer, leak stops, all done. Then I get the famous "One more little thing you could look at...
30
30

Scroll Saw
I would rarely use a scroll saw, but this one looks to be a good deal. Google search doesn't provide very much info for a reasonable value, but $75 isn't a lot of money for this name brand item. have...
7
7

Planer groove
I have a nice Dewalt DW733 planer that I use occasionally, new blades but I'm having trouble with the first 2 or 3 inches showing a recess when the planer grabs the oak. (I think it's the feed end...
9
9

Japanese Shoji Paper - PVC laminated?
For those taking notes: Got call today from Samurai Shoji San installer: 1. Cut sheet material 1/16" undersize of opening, with fresh sharp utility knife and using t-Square. 2. Mount to rabbets and...
41
41

planer or bandsaw
OK -- I know they're two different tools with different main purpose. However -- I have ~300 bd.ft. of black walnut. Most of it is rough and some is S2S, all of it is a full 1 1/8" thick or more....
30
30

Staining experts, I need help
Got some white oak flooring laid, now need to make it match some existing red oak i have already. The red oak has been finished with BLO, and 4 coats of shellac, and one coat of waxless shellac. (in...
38
38

Snipe ... Or snipe no more.
I had changed out my planer blades, and was getting lots of snipe. Everything checked out. The blades were correctly set, the table ... well I played with that for a while... made it worse, made it...
1
1

Delta 14-inch BS Problem
I have a Delta 52-965 14-inch bandsaw that needs some help. Its impossible to move the lower guide carriage with the adjustment knob. I removed it from the saw, and other than some dirt and surface...
3
3

Ouch
A discussion over on Facebook reminded me of another acquaintance of mine falling victim to a power tool accident (a different guy than the one in the my "Table saw accident" thread from late May). A...
29
29

Zinsser paint and varnish stripper - did not work very well
All, My first use of a chemical stripper was Zinsser's paint and varnish stripper on the exterior face of a mahogany entry door - whose finish is old and mostly deteriorated. Not sure if the stuff I...
11
11

BWOT: Bet you never saw a band saw like this one! : )
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3096659755.html
36
36

Looking for ...
I seem to recall a support member made of concrete used as corner supports for a deck. My recollection is that it was a cylinder about 10-12 inches tall and about 12 inches in diameter at the base. On...
8
8