Subject Author Posted Replies

Bermuda front fire
I would like to know if it is possible to replace the front gas fire with an electric one. I am looking at a wood burner style fire that has legs thus allowing the air to flow underneath for the...
1
1

Night Storage Heater/Economy 7 tripping out
Please help. I have a basic understanding of electirics, but 5 Electricians are stumped and I don't know where to go next. My mother in law heats her house by 4 Night Storage Heaters, all of which are...
9
9

Removing a stubborn hose
Hi all I am having trouble with the heater in the car. I suspect the heater matrix is bunged up so want to flush it out in case. I have managed to get one of the hoses off the heater matrix but the...
7
7

Odd flex
I just dug some 3-core flex out of the junk box to make up a flying lead, only to discover that the cores are coloured brown, blue and black. What on Earth would that have been for? I've still made up...
66
66

connectors for GU10 led replacement from 12v GU5.3 with transformer
I have had 6 50W 12v halogen GU5.3 downlighters in one room for years. I am replacing them with LEDs. But I don't think the transformers I have will cope with the very low current draw from each LED....
6
6

OT Santa and clones
Got this lovely video clip from a friend. Merry Christmas!
3
3

OT Debit card Q
Will UK banks issue second debit cards on a normal bank account to a named individual without them having to be a joint account holder?
24
24

LED under-cabinet lighting
My old fluorescent under-kitchen-cabinet tubes are failing at an ever faster rate, so I'm thinking of replacing with LEDs, particularly flexible LED tapes. A few things I'm not sure about... The light...
42
42

Scanning negatives (boots? Jessops?)
Hi All, We need to get some 35mm negatives into the digital domain in a hurry (Fath er in law?s funeral coming up!) Either operating a machine ourselve s, or having it done. I assume it?s possible to...
14
14

OT: 8degreesC ???
Met office is saying we should be around 8C at the moment. Currently 14C, having risen from 12C at 16:30. No, sensor is working fine :) 4C difference ? Hmmmm
6
6

Stuck down kitchen floor
I managed to pick up the very heavy duty vinyl that had previously been stuck down all over. That's left a residue of some fairly thick adhesive. Do I need to sand that off before applying some self...
5
5

Wheelchair stem bearing kit spec ?
Following the temporary removal and in-situ (i.e. no chance to see any markings) lubrication of the front stem and castor, the actual job to replace them seems quite straightforward. Except ... The...
18
18

Using Gridwall in the kitchen
SWMBO wants to use Gridwall in the kitchen to hang large utensils and small pots. It's chromed steel, and I'd have to cut it down to fit - I need about 2' square and the smallest panel I can find is...
6
6

Oven tripping RCD
10+ year old Neff oven, just decided to trip RCD, no previous trouble. 99% of the time it's used in fan mode (where the element used is within the fan). Just went to use it in a different mode where...
31
31

Single skin brick wall - plastering solution recommendation
Old gas fire was condemned, so being middle class we of course opted to hav e a wood burning stove installed. House is a 1905 single skin detached with suspended floor in the lounge, bu t installation...
19
19