Waste traps

In the process of renewing the waste systems in bathroom and kitchen - got fed up with the traps needing frequent bleaching in the warm weather.

The bathroom will have a HepVo, 32 mm (it's been in that size from new), with just one after the swept T. This will ensure that it's well flushed out and I see no point in separating 2 drains that are about 2' apart. The exising shallow trap on the bath allowed backflow from the basin; OK, this will still happen, but there won't be the crud from the trap.

Whilst looking at such traps I came across the Macvalve, McAlpine's equivalent:

and one of those is on the kitchen sink as that job is done.

Now, looking at fittings for the bathroom I found on TS yet another of these waterless traps, the Viva Magna, and it's a lot cheaper than the other two.

Wish I'd seen those first!

Now, what are the bits that go onto the waste outlet to fit into the pipework - I need 32 and 40 mm. BTW, I'm using push-fit; the compression system on the washing machine doesn't give me confidence and the solvent weld in the bathroom is awkward to modify. The sink already had push-fit from when it was installed ~45 years ago. So long as the clips are strategically placed it's all OK.

Reply to
PeterC

I'd agree with that. I have 2 appliance standpipes next to each other running into one homebrew 50mm trap (made of tees and bends with inspection caps for clearing). I can cap off unused standpipes if necessary.

Usually some sort of universal compression joint - should fit both systems as it relies on a chunky rubber ring.

Your 1 1/4" device above should just work on your 32mm and 1 1/2" on 40mm.

But if you need to adapt pipework, these are the range of universal compression fittings that will take either push fit or solvent weld:

Basically (as far as I've ever come across) any fitting like your traps that have ends that look like those, are universal. If it clamps down tight on the pipe, it's working.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks - I'd looked at those. I need the BSP(?) to go onto the waste outlet from the basin/bath (not from the trap) to the pipe, so female thread on the waste (the same as on a trap that goes onto the waste) to compression/push female - the push could be male. I've looked at the flexible ones, but they're corrugated and thus just many wateer traps to go manky.

Reply to
PeterC

Yes, something like that would do the job, thanks. I've found an Inlet T - it's as a standard T but one side has the fitting to go onto a waste outlet. Almost all of the fittings are made to go onto traps, not outlets.

(BTW, I couldn't use more of my quoted text in your reply as it was all on one line in the follow-up that I tried!).

Reply to
PeterC

Confused...

The thread is not important - you go directly onto whatever pipe you have (and if you need new bits of pipe, you can use wither pushfit or solvent as the universal fittings are adaptive enough not to car.

Reply to
Tim Watts