Wanted: Free VPN anonymiser

I have been blocked by our local rag so that I cannot make any online comments to their website threads for some reason. I have worked out that my IP address is on a blacklist and that if I use an anonymiser, I can post my comments.

However, I used Hotspotshield but it took over my PC and blocked my internet access unless I gave them my card details, so I uninstalled it. Is there a useful free VPN anonymiser that works out there?

TIA.

Reply to
swldxer1958

Opera comes with a free vpn. I've never bothered using it, but seems like it might be the job for you.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Do KC give everyone a static IP or is it just sticky?

I declined the offer of a static address when it was offered, not so much because of blacklisting, more because I don't want to provide a perminant target for hackers, and dyndns works fine for me.

Reply to
Graham.

I think everyone gets a static one.

Reply to
swldxer1958

All the posts you have made to uk.d-i-y as " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" have had the same IP.

Those you made in and before Sept 2016 as " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" have a different KC IP address (212.50.172.182), did you move house or something?

Reply to
Graham.

My 'broadband' is via the BT phoneline. I live in Surrey but the IP address varies, usually near Sevenoaks, Kent. I sometimes get 'Is this you?' messages from my webmail, and only by comparing exact times can I tell that it's BT and not some hacker.

I sometimes connect my TV to BBC iPlayer, and I suspect they rely on detecting the IP address to know whether I've registered or not, so next time BT changes my IP address I will probably have to re-register with iPlayer.

Reply to
Dave W

My 'broadband' is via the BT phoneline. I live in Surrey but the IP address varies, usually near Sevenoaks, Kent. I sometimes get 'Is this you?' messages from my webmail, and only by comparing exact times can I tell that it's BT and not some hacker.

I sometimes connect my TV to BBC iPlayer, and I suspect they rely on detecting the IP address to know whether I've registered or not, so next time BT changes my IP address I will probably have to re-register with iPlayer.

Reply to
Dave W

If the router hasn't been switched off, or the connection dropped, then the IP allocated at the time of the first connection could be maintained. Switch the router off overnight and on the next sync a different IP may be assigned, unless the Internet supplier gives customers a fixed IP.

Reply to
alan_m

Have you considered the option that the local rag wants you to stop posting comments on their web site because you are posting bollocks?

Reply to
ARW

A bit odd unless you have a fixed IP address. Usually re-booting your router gets a new IP.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Use the startpage.com search engine.

Instead of typing "localrag.co.uk" into your browser, search for it in the startpage.com search engine and then use the "Anonymous View" option to browse the site.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I thought that was the whole point of local newspaper comments, to post ill-informed, intolerant bollocks. Brexit must be a godsend for them.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

You have a static IP? Most people with obne would know the answer to that question..

Odd that since the majority of punters do NOT have a static IP, your local rag should choose that method to block you.

Tor?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

tor browser....

Dead simple - install and run.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Does Tor Browser work in this situation? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It should as the IP visible to the end server will be a random Tor exit node one - ie it is a fancy VPN with extra layers of protection.

Downside is that Tor exit nodes often feature on people's black lists.

But so could VPN end points for the same reason. At least with Tor, you can re-circuit at will and try again.

Like the fact the OP has got his main IP blocked - it's all a bit pot luck as to what other people have been doing before you.

Reply to
Tim Watts

No, but I got FFTP fitted, so mabe it was that.

Reply to
swldxer1958

No, but I got FTTP fitted, so maybe it was that.

Reply to
swldxer1958

Dave W expressed precisely :

Not sure, but I think the TV/Firestick itself must store a code, which it presents back to IPlayer - so IPlayer knows who you are and are registered. Hence, not dependent on your IP.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It works fairly well for a lot of sites.

Reply to
Richard