Wanted: Free VPN anonymiser

I have been blocked by our local rag so that I cannot make any online comments to their website threads for some reason. I have worked out that my IP address is on a blacklist and that if I use an anonymiser, I can post my comments.
However, I used Hotspotshield but it took over my PC and blocked my internet access unless I gave them my card details, so I uninstalled it. Is there a useful free VPN anonymiser that works out there?
TIA.
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 11:16:20 -0800, swldxer1958 wrote:

Opera comes with a free vpn. I've never bothered using it, but seems like it might be the job for you.
On 11/11/2018 19:27, Cursitor Doom wrote:

It works fairly well for a lot of sites.
On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 10:25:31 AM UTC, Richard wrote:

Tried Opera, but it didn't work. Currently trying hide.me which is working fine though and is free.

Do KC give everyone a static IP or is it just sticky?
I declined the offer of a static address when it was offered, not so much because of blacklisting, more because I don't want to provide a perminant target for hackers, and dyndns works fine for me.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 7:36:31 PM UTC, Graham. wrote:

I think everyone gets a static one.

All the posts you have made to uk.d-i-y as " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" have had the same IP.
Those you made in and before Sept 2016 as " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" have a different KC IP address (212.50.172.182), did you move house or something?
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

My 'broadband' is via the BT phoneline. I live in Surrey but the IP address varies, usually near Sevenoaks, Kent. I sometimes get 'Is this you?' messages from my webmail, and only by comparing exact times can I tell that it's BT and not some hacker.
I sometimes connect my TV to BBC iPlayer, and I suspect they rely on detecting the IP address to know whether I've registered or not, so next time BT changes my IP address I will probably have to re-register with iPlayer.
--
Dave W

Dave W expressed precisely :

Not sure, but I think the TV/Firestick itself must store a code, which it presents back to IPlayer - so IPlayer knows who you are and are registered. Hence, not dependent on your IP.

My 'broadband' is via the BT phoneline. I live in Surrey but the IP address varies, usually near Sevenoaks, Kent. I sometimes get 'Is this you?' messages from my webmail, and only by comparing exact times can I tell that it's BT and not some hacker.
I sometimes connect my TV to BBC iPlayer, and I suspect they rely on detecting the IP address to know whether I've registered or not, so next time BT changes my IP address I will probably have to re-register with iPlayer.
--
Dave W

On 11/11/2018 20:40, Graham. wrote:

If the router hasn't been switched off, or the connection dropped, then the IP allocated at the time of the first connection could be maintained. Switch the router off overnight and on the next sync a different IP may be assigned, unless the Internet supplier gives customers a fixed IP.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 8:41:01 PM UTC, Graham. wrote:

No, but I got FFTP fitted, so mabe it was that.
On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 8:41:01 PM UTC, Graham. wrote:

No, but I got FTTP fitted, so maybe it was that.
In article <6235ec6d-addb-4184-b631-

Virtually guaranteed as you will now be connected to a different router at the exchange which will, onviously, be allocated a different range of IP addresses.
--

Terry

On 12/11/2018 13:59, Terry Casey wrote:

There are no *IP* routers at the exchange. Ip is tunneled (typically over frame relay) back to wherever the ISP has its kit. That is where the IP address is assigned.
So what happens is that YOUR router connects via ADSL or VDSL to the exghange, where is syncs to a port in a DSLAM.
The DSLAM is a frame relay router, and will open up a frame relay style point to point link to your ISP. Over BT (typically) backhaul.
You router then normally request from your ISP using DHCP protocol,. to be assigned an IP address. And a defaultgateway and probably DNS as well. Ip is carried over the frame relay and VDSL links but is never examined on the way for routing or filtering purposes.
I have moved through 3 different exchanges and still have mny same IP address, and would keep it if I upgarded to FTTC if I wanted it. Thats in the purview of my ISP.
--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

― Confucius
says...

I have no knowledge of how systems operated by BT or using their equipment works.
My background was working for ntl (before it became Virgin Media.
Every headend or hub had Cisco routers which alocated IP addresses. The routers were fed from the fibre backbone and were connected to the same fibres feeding the street equipment as the DTV feed.
Although they were moving to a more dynamic system to avoid wasting large number of unused IP addresses, the headend/hub routers allocated the IP addresses to the broadband routers in customer homes.
--

Terry

Nowadays the big ISPs use the same IP address for a number of customers at once. Don't ask me how it works, it clearly depends on reading a lot of each packet, but it does.
--

Roger Hayter

On 13/11/2018 20:19, Roger Hayter wrote:

NAT. They use NAT. Network address translation.
Not BIG ISPs mainly MOBILE ISPs.
You get allocated a private IP addres - probably in the 192.168.. range and they translate that to a port on a public ip address.
NAT works becuase there are 64,000 ports available on any originating IP address and since typiucally a computer uses only about half a dozen, you can get around 10,000 computers/mobile phones hiding behind a single IP address. Its very easy to e.g. retyurtn a packket address to PUBLICIP:PUBLICPORT to PRIVATEIP:PRIVATEPORT simply by rewritiung te header. And in the other direction rewriting the sender headers, and storing the mapping in meomorty.
Most desktop users behind a domestic router will be one 'real' IP adress per household with the NAT happening at the router to allow half a dozen plus devices on the home network to use the internet.
It works well and acts as a casual firewall. Only users inside the network can set up a mapping . So outside hackers cannot probe inside your network. YOU have to initiate the conversation.
The trick is to trick you into doing it.
--
“But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!”

Wrong.

Wrong again.