Stopping a PC connecting to the Internet

I have a PC running Windows 7 driving my plasma cutter table. At the moment it is 'stand alone' ie NOT on my local network as I don't want external interference from the likes of Microsoft poking up dates at it. However I DO want to communicate with it from other PCs on my local network.

As the Plasma PC uses Ethernet to talk to it's various drivers and torch height controller, it is set up currently as 192.168.10.154 so is on a different 'sub net' from the rest of my local network which is 192.168.1.XXX

The plasma PC has only one Ethernet card as do my other PC's.

Is it possible to run two subnets on one ethernet card so that the

192.168.10.XXX CANNOT access the outside world and the 192.168.1.XXX CAN ?

Or is there some other way that I can access this PC from my network without giving it access to the outside world?

Any help appreciated

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

W-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-llll. I have a firewall between the router and my internal network and I don't allow anything to talk to the Internet unless it's specifically allowed to, but you may not want the expense and complexity of this solution.

Reply to
Huge

One way is to not give the plasma's PC a default gateway.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just change the gateway address on the PC to something that isn't your gateway address like 192.168.2.xxx

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Windows won't let you set a default gateway that's outside the subnet of the interface's address+mask, but it will let you have no default gateway.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes. At least with Linux.

And adding a second ethernet card is an easy way to achieve it if windows persists in a one card, one address policy.

I found this online

"These are the steps to add the second IP address to your existing network adapter.

Use the Start menu to open Control Panel. On Windows XP, you may need to open Network and Internet Connections. Open Network (and Dial-up) Connections. Open your network adapter. Click Properties. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then click Properties. Click Advanced. On the IP Settings tab, click Add... Type in the new IP address then click Add. Click OK to close the Advanced TCP/IP settings window. Click OK to close the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window. Click OK to close your network adapter properties window.

That should allow that PC to connect to the plotter.. or if you do that to the plotter, you will of course put it firmly in the domain of 'stuff that can access the internet', and you will need to firewall it out.

Yes, that you can do by:

1/. Adding a second network address in the 192.168.10.X network to your ROUTER

If the router is reasonably well designed (many aren't) that will automatically route any addresses in that network to the ethernet, and hence the cutter.

However that will *enable* that PC to 'see' the internet. To stop THAT

2/. Add a firewall rule disabling 192.168.10.* from accessing any other network than 192.168.1.0

HOWEVER once you have faffed around, actually the simplest way to do this is to move the plotter PC into the standard Internet domain - i.e change its IP address to 192.168.1.100 or similar, and disable its internet access.

There are different ways to achieve that: Firewalling is one. Many routers allow you do prohibit access to the internet fir some or all machines in the network. A

Another way mentioned by a poster, is to change the default route on the plotter PC. To something spurious. This will mean absolutely manually configuring the networking and not using DHCP, on that PC, so assuming you have changed its IP address to be 192.168.1.100 and your router is on say 192.168.0.1, you will need to make sure that the default route is set to something spurious like 192.168.0.254

On balance this may be the easiest route to take. Give that PC a manually set IP address and *spurious* default route (gateway) *on the

192.168.1.0 network*, and Robert should be a relative.

This is a very clear idiots guide

The Natural Philosopher

You can add multiple IP addresses to a network interface, and so could add your and address on your plasma PC's subnet to one of the other machines. That would then let the plasma PC see shared folders etc on the other PC, but it would not have access to the wider network. That would give you very controlled access to the LAN basically using another machine as a stepping stone.

On a simpler level you could manually set the IP address and netmask on the plasma PC to be on your main subnet, but don't set a default gateway. Then it would be able to access LAN resources freely, but not be able to route outside of the LAN.

Reply to
John Rumm

What John say is correct, but if you letting it access other devices you open yourself up to viruses / malware, and without patches or antivirus updates your plasma cutter pc may stop working... be careful

Reply to
Freddy

Clone its hard drive.

And keep it as a spare.

That's assuming you cant e.g. run the windows inside a virtual machine, and take a 'snapshot' of it.

Most of these 'I am there to drive a bit of hardware' PCs never change configuration.

Things are SO much easier with Linux...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I suspect he will allow it to have updates, but just wants to be sure they don't interrupt a plasma cutting session ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Have just bought an Asus RT-AC68u router to replace my crap Virgin Super Hub, in this under parental controls you can time limit internet access via mac address but maintain network access which I do for my son, so if you extend the time limit for a full 24hrs your cutter will be (cut) of from the Internet

Reply to
Corporal Jones
[36 lines snipped]

Not that I'm going to take anti-virus advice from someone doing this

Reply to
Huge

Shouldn't be a problem adding a second IP address to a windows Ethernet interface.

At well as knobling the gateway 'next hop' address, there are settings inside 'windows firewall' that could also be used to block all non-LAN internet traffic (but do ya trust Microsoft not to have a secret bypass to that?)

You may also want to disable the PC's IPv6 ability, if your router has any bright ideas on connecting with that.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Much depends on the workflow. They may be no reason or desire to allow updates on the plasma PC. Chances are he has a working solution and wants a fixed configuration, but at the same time an easy way of moving gcode files etc to the plasma controller.

If the only thing the network connection is being used for is shifting data files, by reading them from a shared drive, then there is little risk to that PC.

I have a client with a similar requirement for his Non Linear video editing platform. It has an ethernet connection to his office PC and that is multihomed, so that the NLE PC can only see the other machines shared drive, but has no direct internet or LAN access.

Reply to
John Rumm

already said he does not want that in the original post, and without internal deployment servers there is no other way to have updates with out an internet connection

Reply to
Freddy

too many issues doing that

Reply to
Freddy

I can understand the first part. However the 2nd part of your post is my view is plain wrong have you ever been involved in large networks with

10s of thousdans of machines. DO you know and how quickly malware can spread if patching etc is not in place.
Reply to
Freddy

idiot, more intrested that complaining about footers than trying to help people.

Reply to
Freddy

The easy way is too set a static IP on the subnet and don't set the gateway to the router.

Better is to also block that static address from inbound and outbound traffic in the firewall rules.

Reply to
dennis

John has it in a nutshell :)

Andrew