Wanted: Free VPN anonymiser

None of that is applicable to FTTP... its not based on DSL technology.

DSL back haul typically done over ATM rather than frame relay. Hence why your router makes a PPPoA connection to the DSLAM.

Reply to
John Rumm

for ADSL it used to be PPPoA all the way from customer to the ISP, the "BT Centrals" were ATM for speeds of 34, 155 and 622 MBps into the ISP.

With 21CN the ISP end changed from ATM and PPPoA to ethernet and PPPoE, with pipes of 1Gbps pipe, or 10Gbps (maybe higher these days?) if you have VDSL it's PPPoE at the customer end too.

Reply to
Andy Burns

How would they know?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can assure you, having set up such servers, that it is the login credentials.

Some servers may indeed reconnect a MAC address to the same IP if it happens to be available,. but there is no way when an ISP assigns you a static adress it knows what MAC address you will be on.

The Radius entry connects your login to the allocated IP address.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were talking FTTC. VDSL technology.

To the cabinet.

Yes. No argument there. Frame relay is really old...and so am I :-0)

But still there is no IP routing on and still the actual allocation of IP addresses is done at the far end, with the IP being tunnelled over the frame relay or ATM

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dunno and what does ones' employer care what you post on newspaper comments pages in your own time?

Reply to
swldxer1958

I am fairly sure that although the PRESENTATION is ethernet/IP, underneath its still ATM

But there is no decent data out there - only wow gosh stuff for punters

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fairly sure BT killed off their ATM network (aka Colossus) a customer who had a 34Mbps ATM circuit to act as the "ISP-end" for private ADSL circuits to their other sites (no internet involved) was forced to migrate to Ethernet

Reply to
Andy Burns

Could you have a look about 12 lines that way ^^^^^

(where it says "No, but I got FTTP fitted, so maybe it was that")

FTTP is similar but different; normally using a Passive Optical Network (PoN) to replace the local loop. That's serviced by an Optical Line Terminal. That usually has an Ethernet back haul, but they also support ATM, and SONET/SDH.

Reply to
John Rumm

They presumably can see the IP address and hence trace it back to the netblock owner. That should get them as far as the ISP or possibly large corporate. However getting beyond that may prove harder.

Reply to
John Rumm

I do not know what a anonymiser is. I have been banned by more than one local rag - I was not rude - they just did not like my polite comments on Muslimes and cyclists. Muslim newspapers. The deputy editor is a cyclist and a Muslime. Just create a free Yahoo account and a different user name.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

So far, so good with my hide.me account! Local rag has not twigged me yet.

Reply to
swldxer1958

I agree with all that, now re-read my post particulaly the first sentence.

Reply to
Graham.

That form of words may well date from a time when Internet connectivity was rare outside the workplace. Computer use policy documents often use dated language. One that I had to sign no more than 10 years ago specifically forbade me from posting to USENET but did not mention the WWW.

Eyesight policy forms invariably talk about VDUs

Reply to
Graham.

I know swivel-eyed loons complaining about muslim takeovers are ten a penny nowadays, but there are quite a few people just in this newsgroup whose writing style is instantly recognisable after a few sentences.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Nowadays the big ISPs use the same IP address for a number of customers at once. Don't ask me how it works, it clearly depends on reading a lot of each packet, but it does.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Even if BT transports data by IP this stage is transparent to the customer and ISP and the ISP still allocates its own chosen IP address to the customer, who addresses their packets back to an IP address at the ISP. Neither sees BT's IP network directly.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

All depends on how many people out there do not like you. I must have lost about .............16 accounts with the local rags. And as you know, I'm a nice guy. Well, sort of ..... :-)

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Happy birthday to you!

Reply to
swldxer1958

Anyone who *hasn't* been banned by their chosen "newspaper" must be some sort of tool anyway.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom