Subject Author Posted Replies

Alternative URL shortener
I usually use TinyURL, but IME it can't handle links to PDF's. Can anyone recommend an alternative that does?
10
10

Looking for an adaptor
That's what I did before. Would be nicer to keep these as is. Maybe I could contemplate moulding something in plastic, probably be strong enough for small bits. NT
14
14

The perils of commercial kits
So /she/ decides she wants an arbour in the garden. Somewhere to sit and watch the sunset, but the neighbours can't see. Find one, buy it, put it together. Mostly - then stop as I realise the back...
8
8

drills for stainless steel
I need to drill 30 odd 4.5mm holes in a stainless steel pipe; I'm drilling a small pilot hole ~ 1mm first . Usual type blunt too quickly 4 holes ! Pipe wall thickness is only 1mm and I thought I'd get...
13
13

Garden shredders
Anyone got any experience of electric garden shredders that can cut wood up to 40mm diameter. Are these devices much good? There are a number of makes any recommendations?
28
28

Passing (CAT6) cable over loft from below ?
Finally admitted defeat (passim) with wireless anything to my utility- cupboard stashed server and want to run a proper CAT6 cable to it. It's in a space which already has a small hole in the...
28
28

OT Engineers
Cribbed off the internet. Engineers. Two engineering students were biking across a university campus when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?" The second engineer replied, "Well, I was...
2
2

Motion sensative outside light
I bought an LED outside light less than 3 years ago from Homebase. It was white and less obtrusive against our white walls. Recently it started to barely glow. My electrician, as friend for over 50...
71
71

[Southgate] Foundations of Amateur Radio
I don?t think it?ll look voluntary in the way you mean, and by design; I?m 99% sure that BoJo and his depraved team of far-right headbangers are purposefully making a train wreck of the whole thing in...
8
8

Windpower
Anyone see the irony of the recent power cut? We are told by Turnip etc that wind power has no place in generating our energy. As the wind doesn't blow 24/7. Yes when we have a technical failure of a...
224
224

How to level vanity unit.
See attached image. What would the recommended best option for levelling this vanity unit. It is approx 1cm out of plumb from back to front. Use some shims to level. Trim the bottom to fit. Add a...
11
11

Can Building Control over-ride planning permission?
The steps from our kitchen into the side passage are like that, although they are only 3 risers high. It feels quite safe, without a handrail. With four risers, you may feel much happier with a...
56
56

Power cut
Anyone affected by it?
121
121

what power failure ?. Its fine in Sussex
Not sure what is going on but everything is normal in West Sussex.
72
72

Power Line Adapters and degree of separation
Leaving aside the downsides of Power Line Adapters, I do have a spare pair (courtesy of VM) and a potential use. I have power from the house to the shed on a B40 RCBO in the main fuse board. At the...
8
8