I made something...

Or some crank on here :-D

Reply to
Jimk

Wot no fruit?

(4 x beef stock cubes?)

Reply to
Jimk

And not in the workshop either. Don't get your hopes up, it was only dinner:

(someone asked me for the recipe - I figured it was near enough to DIY to warrant inclusion here for any spice heads out there!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Swap the Worcester sauce for

ARW

The peppers give it the fruity, and then tomatoes :-)

1x veg, 2 x beef.
Reply to
John Rumm

Looks like it could be worth a try :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I'll send you some.

Reply to
ARW

Funny, I did a CCC yesterday but using Quorn 'mince' and *way* less spice as 1) it would be too hot for her and 2) going against the advice of my Dr. for my stomach ulcers. ;-(

We were given some microwave 'steam in the bag' Moroccan rice and chickpea thing a while back and the other day [1] and I dug it out the freezer and did it. A quick test taste suggested it might be too hot for the Mrs and might contain things that I don't like the taste of (squashes etc). However, it was fine for me because the spice masked any such tastes but not fine for her because it was too spicy for her and it masked the tastes.

And I think she has a point. When we eat these hot / spicy foods, would we say we can generally taste the difference in the different ingredients or is it just the texture that changes?

(Stereo?)Typical 'English food' is often considered as being bland, meat, potatoes and veg, maybe some gravy or a bit of mint sauce / mustard etc but at least you can then differentiate easily between the different tastes, however mild they may be?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Very kind, although it looks like I can slap one on my next supermarket delivery.

(having said that, I accidentally made chilli with soy sauce once (in my defence the bottle was sat beside the hob in the place the L&P usually sits!) that actually turned out ok.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have found you can train em :-) if its a dish you do reasonably regularly, just tweak up the heat a bit each time, and they acclimatise!

Yup, that could be a bit more of a downer.

We had a vegan house guest a while back and SWMBO did a butternut squash curry, with some chickpeas. It actually worked quite well - the different texture of the chickpeas helped quite a bit, and the mild curry made the squash palatable.

Spicy done well needs to have its own unique flavour as well as the heat IME. While I like hot dishes, I am less keen on those that are just hot with no redeeming flavour component.

:-)

Reply to
John Rumm

OK. Then I'll stop Lou from posting it. It's well worth a try even for other stuff.

Note that the wiki article still says 2 x beef stock twice (IYSWIM)

Reply to
ARW

But you have actually put:

1 veg stock cube, 2 x beef stock cube 2 beef stock cubes

:-)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

If everyone wants a big portion (it looks good enough to want more) then there's no way that will stretch to 6 or 8 people. Yum yum!

Reply to
Pamela

I will add it to the next order, and report back! :-)

Ah, yup sorry missed that. Fixed.

Reply to
John Rumm

yup, my bad, fixed!

Reply to
John Rumm

I find after feeding the 5 of us, there are usually a couple of servings left over. Although it does rather depend on how much other stuff you have with it. So I think it should do 6 even with good appetites.

Reply to
John Rumm

It has to be severed with Peter Kays favourite....

Reply to
ARW

Don't know whether it makes it better - or worse - but I brown the mince in one pan while the onions soften in another. Allows me to really brown the mince in two or three batches and then put it in with the onions/tomato/chilli/etc.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Most food seems to taste of too much salt which masks the true taste of many ingredients.

Before the lockdown, staff at my local fish and chip shop thought it strange that I never wanted salt or vinegar on my take away. In common with a lot of similar establishment the amount of salt sprinkled on a single portion of chips possibly exceeds the WHO annual consumption recommendations.

Because of health reasons my mother never cooked with salt and never put any on her food. I was brought up under this regime and 60 years later I still do not add salt to any food. Obviously a lot of processed food is smothered in the stuff and unfortunately I often find that the overriding taste is this salt. It's a lot worse in many restaurants where the cooks seem to think a unit of a pinch is a handful, and as can be seen with many celebrity cooks on TV shows.

The problem is that too many people are addicted to the taste of salt and any food without it tastes strange to them. I find that I can enjoy the true taste of many ingredients without salt but when its added in "common quantities" during cooking or afterwards it all starts to taste the same. Could this be why a lot of people think things are bland because there is no variation in the taste of the salt in what is on their plates?

I do occasionally enjoy a very spicy meal but not necessarily being stupidly chilli hot.

Reply to
alan_m

The problem is the notion that eating low salt is healthy. It's not.

Reply to
tabbypurr