I made something...

Ironically, I never add salt to my food at the table, with the single exception of adding salt and vinegar on takeaway fish and chips. (which we might do once or twice a year). Although I prefer the generous dousing in vinegar, and a touch of salt rather than the more often seen alternative ratio.

I suppose the logic is that is a flavour enhancer, but as you say, if you are not accustomed to it, then its own flavour can swap many others.

What counts and stupidly hot for you though?

Reply to
John Rumm

Nor is very high salt intake healthy and that's what most people are consuming.

Reply to
alan_m

Not really either. Yes if you down a load of salt your BP rises in a short spike. So it does if you go to the gym.

If there is one thing the human body is very good at, its ditching salt.

Not having enough however leads to all sorts of damage

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

which is why you can buy salt tablets to combat the effect of over sweating.

Reply to
charles

There are options to a gym.

Instead of driving to the gym and paying good money to use their running machines you could run to the gym.

Reply to
ARW

Irrelevant My point is that exercise spikes BP. So does salt. Why not tell people not to exercise?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What if you load up with salt and then exercise?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Or you could stay at home and have vigorous sex and lots of it.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

indeed.

Er, no. Most people don't get their optimum salt intake.

I can pretty much predict the responses. Why not read up on it instead, or look on youtube.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The problem is obviously going to get a lot worse than with so many food manufacturers reducing the salt in their products, presumably as a result of poor medial advice.

Reply to
alan_m
<snip>

The MIL was terrible for her use of salt. You would watch her applying it before she'd even tasted the mean and it would go on and on.

We cut down a lot when it was pointed out it was an unnecessary risk and at best I only put 'a pinch' (and that's really all it is) in with boiled veg. The only other time I used to have it was on eggs (especially boiled with dippy soldiers) but as we don't eat eggs any more (not Vegan), that's not an issue.

Dad was similar with his application of pepper but I've not heard of any heath risks associated with that.

But then he would sit and eat a jar of hot chili peppers as a snack so he obviously liked his food hot / spicy. ;-)

We were a bit late eating tonight so I just did some vegan 'meatballs', rice and peas.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You don't get cramps

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's been a problem for decades. A lot of medical guidelines and 'science' are in reality quite iffy. The standard of medical science is mostly terrible. Most of the NHS's dietary advice seems to fall into this category.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

But this is the NHS that we all meant to be saving! Is this another example of the NHS not being fit for purpose?

Reply to
alan_m

NHS dietary advice is written by food manufacturers.

Low fat + low salt is bollocks. What we need is low carbs, but wheat is very very cheap....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's a lot better than nothing, but it's shameful compared to what it could be. People love it when they don't bother to get informed and find out how many cockups they're making - and the reality is most don't get informed. Most prefer to stay in the child mindset.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It would be interesting to see a comparison of the total costs of each diet, ie food cost + healthcare costs + lost work cost for each option.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That hasn?t been established and the Japanese do fine health wise and their diet isn't low carbs.

but wheat is

Reply to
Joshua Snow

Lou and myself still catching up on that missing 6 weeks....

Reply to
ARW

Best to get the advice from YouTube then?

Reply to
ARW