How does Elmers interior wood glue stack up against TB original.

I'm running out of glue and it's time to restock. The local Borg carries Elmers (interior wood glue) and tightbond.

I do not need water resistance. Chalk point, however is factor as I tend to keep a cool shop. Elmers is a couple bucks cheaper than Titebond I (original). Is there any reason why I should not consider just buy the Elmers?

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

no

Len

Reply to
leonard

I bought their Urethane Glue one day thinking aww it's all the same just cheaper. Compared to Gorilla, it was crap! I did buy their stainable even though no real problem with it.... I don't plan on purchasing it or any of their products in the glue line!

Reply to
199.45.49.11

I personally don't like the Elmers as well---can't really say why other than it just doesn't seem as good.

I use Type II yellow glues almost exclusively for ordinary work--although the cost of glue is miniscule in the scheme of things so I don't worry about the few bucks / gal. difference.

If you really need a lower chalk point, Type III is the only one w/ much significant of a difference--but it's about twice the price.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

"Stephen M" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

I'm sure Franklin Intl would disagree - but I consider Elmer's ProBond, Loctite and TiteBond I to be pretty much interchangable and I let price make my decision for me.

If you've got a Wal*Mart nearby, they've often got the Loctite PVA for a good price.

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

FWIW, the best glue to use if you are into biscuits, is plain yellow Elmers. Best consistency for ease of application.

Reply to
Rumpty

Thats not entirely true. According to to the tightbond people Original, II, & III have chalk points of 50, 55 and 47 degrees respectively. There's a bigger differnce between II and Original than Original and III.

Reply to
C & S

Just from personal experience, I'd tend to agree. They all work exceedingly well and to the average woodworker, it's other factors, like drying time, tackiness, price, or ease of cleanup that makes the difference.

I have a brand new bottle of Elmer's Stainable Glue, which I haven't tried yet. This might be different.

James....

Reply to
Amused

I should cite my source... some might find it interesting

Reply to
Stephen M

I like the stuff they sell at Garrett Wade. I tested it and TB on some butt joints and found it was significantly stronger. Plus they "claim" it fills gaps. My joints are always perfect, so I can't confirm that.

It is rather more expensive, but how expensive is glue?

Reply to
Toller

Thanks...I recalled the difference between II and III but didn't recall that I was that much lower than II.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

For grins, I inquired with the Borden (Elmers) folks. Here's what I got. I find it hard to believe that this is a has any resemblence to the term chalk point that the Franklin people use. It sounds more like a laywerly response than a technical one.

Dear Steve,

We do not recommend using our Carpenter's Wood Glue at temperatures below

65°F without affecting the bond strength. I hope you find this information helpful and look forward to serving you as a satisfied customer in the future.

Brian Rumschlag Consumer Response Analyst

Reply to
Stephen M

I have used Elmers Woodworkers glue for over 25 years. It is stronger than wood. You could buy a small amount of each and conduct an experiment, but I think they are close to equal.

Reply to
Phisherman