Gorilla Glue vs. Elmers Ultimate Glue Polyurethane?

Gorilla is about 2-3x expensive and spends a fortune on advertising but is it any better than the cheaper Elmers polyurethane glue?

thanks

Reply to
blueman

If the joint is as strong as needed, that is all that matters. In the case of wood, event he cheapest wood adhesives are stronger than the wood itself. I'd go with the cheaper brand.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I don't think it's 2x costlier than competing polyurethanes, it's only about the 3x compared to yellow aliphatics.

I've heard that some of the others don't contain the amount of solids that Gorilla glue has, but I've not been able to tell any difference from a functional standpoint in any that I've used--they all foam and make a hell of a mess. Unless there is a _very_ specific reason for using them (the common ones being the total waterproof quality, long open time and/or exotics), I personally avoid them like the plague (or bird flu to be topical :) ).

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I bought Gorilla glue instead of Elmers because the warning labels on the Elmers were much scarier. Gorilla could be safer, or Elmers could be more honest; donno.

Reply to
Toller

Reply to
nospambob

i tried some gorilla glue on some masonry/tile materials and was very unimpressed. like so many adhesives, it may work great on certain materials, but as a general purpose adhesive, I don't think so. generally full court advertising seems to relate to an inferior product.

bill

Reply to
rider89

A long standing tenet of marketing holds that an identical product repackaged and priced higher will cause consumers to believe it is a better product. However, in this case I think Elmer's being a larger company simply has lower manufacturing and distribution costs as they can economize while making all of their other products. Less advertizing also lowers the price. All they need to do is make sure it is on the same shelf and comparison shoppers will figure out the rest.

I have used both and found no noticable difference subjectively.

Reply to
PipeDown

replying to blueman, Billy Ackerley wrote: I like both, they are excellent. However, I have repaired busted musical instruments. Gorilla Glue leaves a darker colored joint and is hard to hide in the final finish. No problem with Elmer's poly glue. The joint is almost completely invisible after sanding. I recently tried Gorilla wood glue and really like it though. It gets sticky and sets up faster.

Reply to
Billy Ackerley