routing corian

A friend has asked me to put a roundover on a piece of corian. Anything to be aware of/concerned about?

Does it rout like wood? more abrasive?

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Reply to
noonenparticular

Joseph Golaine

Yup. Slow down on the tip speed and feedrate if you can. Make sure you're sharp. If it is real Corian/Wilsonart/Meganite/Staron, the abrasiveness not that bad. Some of the polyester look-alikes suck canal water.

Reply to
Robatoy

It is much easier than you would think. I just routed a Tslot in corian; piece of cake.

Reply to
Toller

It creates a lot of static electricity on your tools. When I have routed it, I had to keep my thumb anchored on a metal part of the router to keep from getting shocked. It did the same thing to my PC belt sander. It shocked the crap out of me for weeks. I finally took it apart and blew all the dust out of it and then it was fine. Anyone else ever experience this?

Bryan

Reply to
DamnYankee

The acrylic versions of solid surface, such as Corian, Wilsonart, Meganite and others flake off real nice when using a sharp bit. Nice micro-thin wafers that float like snowflakes in the shape of the cutting bit. If and when you're getting a lot of dust, you're no longer cutting, but grinding. Slow rotational speeds and slow feedrates will reduce the 'grinding' effects. The dust? Well, I had it analysed on two occasions. Once by the labour standards people, the second time by an outside lab at the request of a client. It is considered 'nuisance dust' no different than going down a country road in a convertible with my sweetie on a warm summer day..yessir, picnic basket, soft music...bottle of wine...*slap*..

The formulation is methyl methacrylate and aluminum tri-hydrate... dentists make capped teeth from that stuff. After it is manufactured, the dust is inert and quite heavy. Within a cpl of minutes, the air is clear. I will always recommend wearing a mask, and I do, but there's no 'booga-booga' aspect to the dust whatsoever. Dust from many wood species are way worse for your health than a totally inert substance like solid surface dust....at least the acrylic types. (As opposed to the garbage polyester ones)

Reply to
Robatoy