Caboose with wings

I have just been watching an old film (1997 crime, thriller) which involved a US railroad passing through snow covered mountainous area.

The Caboose, was fitted with a heavy steel wing on one side, maybe both sides. It was around 15 foot long, hinged against the side, vertical in profile and could be deployed to swing out, and given support by a steel support wire. It seemed to be air or vacuum operated, to deploy it.

Curious - anyone know what it might be for?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Maybe it was added for plot purposes? Did the villain or the hero swing from it?

Reply to
GB

Avalanche protection? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Well, as I recall, they were at an angle and made piled up snow get pushed away from the track to stop the build up avalanching onto the track itself. No idea how good they were. Mostly they were near the front of a train of the steam kind. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa