Water Pressure

Any truth that Water Boards turn down the pressure at weekends to reduce the likelyhood of leaks?

Reply to
John

I didn't know they could change the height of the water towers.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

They'd have difficulty lowering the reservoir which is in a village 100m above us! More generally, I think they use gravity for distribution where they can. Must depend on local topography.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

yes, and at night. They do it to reduce wastage through leaks (that they know exist but don't fix !).

When Grenfell tower became a fiery torch, LFB were asking Thames water to increase the water pressure to help them fight the fire.

Reply to
Andrew

No but the mains has pressure reducing/regulating valves in it. Every

10 m (33') or so of vertical height gives a 1 bar of pressure difference. Our water used to come from an adit about 50 m above us with a pressure of about 5 bar. The town on the same supply is 120 m lower, without pressure regulation they'd have mains water at 17 bar (250 psi)...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not that I'm aware of but pressure seems to vary due, no doubt to trends of usage over time. I was under the impression that there are sensors all over the place looking at pressure, so if it drops then they may have a leak, and if it goes up then the pumping can be adjusted, one does not want to blow the joints apart due to everyone not using water.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

I am quite liking the idea of telescopic water towers! I suppose some prssure drop is due to useage - but at this time I would have expected it to be fairly constant day by day - yet weekeds always seem low. If it is due to usage then it suggest the pipe sizes may be too small.

Reply to
John

Because that's when people water their gardens

Reply to
charles

They used to have telescopic gas storage tanks.

In its full glory
My parents used to live in the shadow of this gasometer and television reception used to depend on if the gas holder was at it maximum or minimum height

Reply to
alan_m

Did they light all the rings on the cooker to make it go down?

Reply to
Max Demian

alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Marvellous constructions.

Reply to
John

It's well known practice to run the system at the lowest pressure possible to reduce wastage and also to reduce leakage from underground hard to detect leaks.

On large buildings it's possible to cut consumption by up to 25% by installing a PRV. Especially office type buildings.

Reply to
harry