emptying the champion water pressure tank

Hello

I was attempting to test the air pressure in my water pressure tank.

THe instructions state I need to empty the tank prior to testing the air pressure?

I emptied the tank out. I took a pressure reading of 0 psi.

While I added air to the tank some water came out. I probably got a least 20 gallons out, where did this water come form?

Anyway I got up to 20psi, but it then let out more water and droped down to 8psi.

My pump switch is 40/60. It seems to work OK. I was just trying to get the tank to it's 38psi orginal spec.

I put a new psi guage on and it shows that the pump goes on at 40 and off at 60.

Still confused about the air on the tank?

anys suggestions?

Reply to
mike

Mike, I have an Amtrol tank with a charge pressure of 38psi. Basically you verify that the tank is precharged to 38 psi. When tank is filled,and put in use, cut in pressure should match precharge pressure. Sounds like yours is already doing that.

-- Best Regards, Dennis J Sunday Home Inspection Systems

Dennis J Sunday

"Dennis J Sunday" wrote

Actually there has to be 1-2 psi difference (less air than water pressure) between the air pressure and the cut-in pressure setting of the switch; I.E.

30/50 gets 29-28 psi air pressure with no water in the tank. And the water to the house water should be shut off just past the tank.

Assuming the water to the house is shut off.... He has a bad bladder. Proof of that is the air pressure initially being 0 and then as he adds air, it is pushing water out of the tank after he had already drained the tank. And then when the water allows, his air pressure went up but then.... back to 0 psi after more water came out of the tank. He has water above the bladder and the air pushes it back through the hole in the bladder. If he removed the tank valve stem and left air in the top of the tank above the bladder, the water that can will drain out under it's own power. His system will 'short' cycle in this condition which ruins pump motors while increasing the electrical bill substantially. He needs a new tank.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Gary Slusser's Help Forum www.qualitywaterassociates/phpBB2/

Reply to
Gary Slusser

How do I check for water I turned the handle nothing came out

Reply to
kathy