Subject Author Posted Replies

Fitting downlighters in rockwool-insulated ceiling
Hi I'm thinking of installing some in the upstairs bathroom; which is plasterboard with a thick layer of Rockwool on top. I know from experience how much heat is chucked out from the downlighters...
19
19

Re: Power Showers and Water Meters
Andy Hall wrote( a long time ago): [snip] [snip] As I am contemplating buying a very big bath, I contacted my water supplier, Severn Trent, and they told me that they regarded it as a Building Control...

Light pipes. any good?
I am refurbing a 60's house with a dark landing.....any comments on a light pipe to lift gloom. JT
5
5

Wall tiles: low quality print?
I was after some dark/ black marble effect tiles for the bathroom recently and went round to several local, supposedly high quality outlets in Sheffield. Looking at tiles around the £10-£20 per sq m...
2
2

drawings of house and gardens
I need a program that will allow me to enter in metric dimensions and come up with a scale drawing of my house...save me doing in my poor freehand! anyone know of a simple program? Steve
1
1

Getting rid of concrete slabs
I've lifted 80 slabs that were covering our front garden (in Oxford), in order to do something nicer there. They are well worn, not very pretty, 60cm x 60cm x 5cm slabs, some of which have frost...
2
2

Small quantity of matching bricks
Before the central heating was installed, we removed the old gas wall-fires. Inside, I patched with expanding foam (used a bit of hardboard to make sure it didn't span the cavity), which is now nicely...
1
1

Useful mobile tip?
My better half has managed to damage her mobile more times than I care to remember. The damage usually involves the antenna socket; until Christmas, she had Ericssons of various flavours. The repair...
10
10

roof ventiltion/cavity closers
With regard to the loft ventilation thread there are a few queries I have as to the best course of action for a few specific issues that I have at the moment having recently installed some spots in...

Sealing round the bath
I'm trying to tart my bathroom up as quick and as cheap as possible as I have just put it up for sale and I need to get rid of this moldy seal around the side of the bath. Not being a diy person I am...
18
18

Adherence to Building Regs... or not?
If I want to build a new house, I understand that it needs to adhere to all the necessary building / wiring regs etc. In my own (old) house I know there are plenty of aspects which don't come up to...
14
14

Trading Standards do a "House of Horrors"
why I like to DIY - I tend to not trust other people not to either do a bad job, or rip me off on costs, or a mixture of the two. David http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3417401.stmExactly
11
11

Leaking soil pipe (non-plastic)
Hi, I have a small leak in my soil pipe (it's not plastic so i guess it must be ceramic) but don't want to go through the hassle at the moment of cutting and replacing the soil pipe. The leak is...
11
11

Numbering of circuits in Consumer Unit
I've just bought a new Wylex split load consumer unit: The unit has the main incoming switch on the right hand side, and the RCD half way along. The kit comes with some useful labels, ("1", "2", "3"...
9
9

quick energy saving flourescent question
Morning! Am I right in thinking that a particular glass enclosed light fitting is rated at a certain wattage because of heat dissipation? Am I also right in thinking that because of this I can replace...
9
9