Adherence to Building Regs... or not?

If I want to build a new house, I understand that it needs to adhere to all the necessary building / wiring regs etc.

In my own (old) house I know there are plenty of aspects which don't come up to modern standards (mostly for historical reasons) although I'm perfectly happy with it in terms of safety and economics etc; I know that there is no obligation on me to update my house to meet 2003 regs?.

So far so good; where I am unclear is what the rules are in between the above scenarios. What about if I buy a property - equally old and not fulfilling current regs - in order to do a refurb and sell on or let out? Obviously I need to ensure building control approve any substantive alterations I may make, like sewers, openings in loadbearing walls etc, but what about other aspects? Eg, I know there is nowhere near enough roofing insulation; aspects of the wiring are not done to 2003 standards; and any number of other things. Obviously a prospective buyer's surveyor may highlight these things in the future, but apart from that, am I obliged to update everything? Is it any different because this is an investment property and not my primary dwelling? Does it depend on the extent of the refurbishment (eg bit of wallpaper and paint versus major structural alterations)?

Thanks in advance David

Reply to
Lobster

I'm pretty sure you're generally only requried to update things you're changing. Therefore, if you're re-wriring the house - do it to the current regs. If you're altering a single circuit, that circuit should be to regs (though others may not be).

If you're replacing a single window, then that window has to be to regs. You don't need to replace all windows, though any that are replaced must meet regs.

Boiler - replacing a boiler does not require you to change your cylinder to meet regs, but if you do change it (corroded, old etc) then it must meet regs.

Basically, anything new/replaced must meet regs. Anything untouched doesn't.

I could be completely wrong though!

David

Reply to
David Hearn

Anything you change must be done to current standards.

i.e. an extension would require the full shebang to modern standards. A rewire would be required to modern standards. Major alterations to part of the dwelling would require you to install mains smoke alarms in those parts. Any new walls would have to be insulated to the required u-Values. A new heating system would have to comply with Part L. etc.

Rules for renting (particularly houses of multiple occupation) may be different, requiring changes to bring stuff up to date, even if you weren't intending to touch them. This is particularly the case when it comes to fire safety.

Yes. If you wallpaper an external wall, you don't have to do anything. If you rebuild the wall from scratch, you'll have to insulate it, unless you can pass it off as a "repair".

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Actually, if you replace a boiler, you do have to bring any external heating control systems up to date. This may require addition of TRVs, cylinder thermostats, room stats, programmers, zone valves etc.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You're going to change some words somewhere? (Substantive - a noun or pronoun used in place of a noun)

I know it's common usage now but don't you really mean substantial?

Reply to
usenet

My understanding of such things is that if you touch an area, it has to be brought up to standard. I.e. you may not replace an old crittal window with a new crittal window, unless you can demonstrate that teh overll insulation of the room its in wil result in a tsandrad better or equal to current regs.

Thr idea is a rolling improvement that in 60 years will result in all properties being more or less up to current regs :-)

OTOH if you leave the loft alone, thats it. No need to insulate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The exception to the above comments is listed buildings. While you may be subject to other restrictions you do not have to use modern windows but can use single glazed ones.

Nick Brooks

As other have said you need to do things to new standards as you progress. Despite the fact that you may not be obliged to do so the fact that some things are not up to standard may well have a detrimental effect on the price or saleability.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

..or you are doing a like-for-like replacement, e.g. of a damaged window.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

I meant "substantive", adjective. Having independent existence, not subordinate; actual, real, permanent. (Pocket OED, 1984).

Or try:

"substantial" would have done the trick too, had I felt so inclined...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Nope- that's not exempt. You CAN repair a damaged window - by replacing broken glass or a rotted sill, but replacing the whole unit means you must meet the new regs.

Reply to
G&M

OK replace the sahes this month then replace the frame next month.

Reply to
Toby Sleigh

Yep - total nonsense I know but that's the rules.

Reply to
G&M

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:10:49 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named "Toby Sleigh" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

If you remove the frame, you've removed the sash as well. Ergo, you've replaced the window.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:20:46 +0000, a particular chimpanzee named Nick Brooks randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Not necessarily. If you have to replace windows with single-glazed or thin double-glazed as a condition of any Listed Bldg/ Conservation Area consent, then reasonable provision for energy conservation should be made elsewhere where practicable (i.e., increased loft insulation, more efficient replacement boiler, etc.).

Reply to
Hugo Nebula