Light pipes. any good?

I am refurbing a 60's house with a dark landing.....any comments on a light pipe to lift gloom.

JT

Reply to
John Taverner

Very expensive. Put in a velux then box it in. Line the inside with mylar (used for emergency blankets and highly reflective)

John Taverner wrote:

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Good idea. Or stick cooking foil to the inside of the box. BTW, mylar in emergency blanket thickness is transparent. Metallising it makes it reflective, and effective as a heat reflector. The mylar is really just a tough "carrier" for an otherwise very weak and very thin layer of metal.

Reply to
OxSc

You can buy "heavy duty" mylar here

Nick Brooks

A friend of mine has one on his dark landing. Excellent!

Reply to
IMM

They look great, but so does the Velux option. I have seen the Velux used, boxed in and white emulsioned plaster to good effect if the roof is not too high from the ceiling. You also get the option of opening the window in summer.

-- Adam

adamwadsworth@(REMOVETHIS)blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth