roof ventiltion/cavity closers

With regard to the loft ventilation thread there are a few queries I have as to the best course of action for a few specific issues that I have at the moment

having recently installed some spots in the bathroom, the light leaking into the loft has shown that the area around my soffits is a little damp, in particular over the bathroom area, Ok so this throws up a few points,

  1. the bathroom needs an extractor and this will be installed, generally we have the windows in the bathroom open, but I'll be putting in a new suite and tiling over the next 4 weeks and I'll throw in the fan as part of the job. In addition I'll put in a vapour barrier in the loft primarily above the bathroom at present, and seal up around the spots, IIRC ceramic plant pots were recommend here at some time for this job

  1. I'm also planning on installing soffit vents, of which we have exactly zero at present. (the house is a 1960 3 bed semi FYI), we do not have any other roof ventilation, but do have an excessive amount of junk/treasured items up there that I don't really want getting ruined,While the vents will decrease the temp, they should also decrease the humidity and condensation at the soffits. (This will all be sorted properly when I convert the loft and insulate between the rafters... this was my preferred option some time ago, but the wife won and so I've nearly finished the plans for the rear extension)

  2. cavity closers.... this is my real area of concern and .... there do not appear to be any cavity closers at the top of the cavity walls, so any moist warm air in the cavity has probably been making its way to the loft and increasing the problems above the soffits,as well as reducing eth effectiveness of eth cavity. I should be able to install cavity closers relatively easily, but was wondering what effect this may have on dampness in the walls, while the walls have a couple of air bricks there are no weep hole or vents to the cavity as far as I know. So the real question is will any moisture making its way into the cavity (by passage through the walls,say) be a cause for concern? FYI the cavity is unfilled, and we have no intention of installing cavity wall installation, the recommendation for Glasgow/west of Scotland area is a partial or no fill I believe) Alternatively I can move the insulation slightly and stick one of it down into the cavity for 6 inches.

As a completely alternative solution I'll be giving some serious thought to TNP's suggestion in the loft insulation thread of sealing up most of the loft and using a dehumidifier, I can see a few options for plumbing in the dehumidifier to the soil stack to eliminate having to empty it....

Any opinions welcome.. cheers

David

Reply to
David Moodie