Found Straw in a Cavity Wall

Hi,

I've a 1960s bungalow. When repairing some soffits/fascias I found the front-wall cavity has been stuffed with straw (the top of the cavity is open). The only other cavity I can easily check (on a side wall) seems empty.

Has anyone heard of this before? Is it a problem (fire? damp? - though I have no damp at present).

Access to the top of the cavity is limited so I can't see any easy way to remove the straw below the top few inches, short of knocking holes in the wall.

I'm having cavity wall insulation soon. I guess the straw is going to prevent the stuff they use being injected - at least in the front wall.

Any comments/advice gratefully received.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Sounds as if you have 40 years of birdsnests!

Are you sure the straw is all the way down the cavity?

Reply to
Fred

I had a chinmey full of straw and stuff, from birds nest. The roofer suggested his normal method of cleaning it was to por diesel down, light and run .......

I cleaned it by hand.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

| Hi, | | I've a 1960s bungalow. When repairing some soffits/fascias I found the | front-wall cavity has been stuffed with straw (the top of the cavity is | open). The only other cavity I can easily check (on a side wall) seems | empty. | | Has anyone heard of this before? Is it a problem (fire? damp? - though I | have no damp at present). | | Access to the top of the cavity is limited so I can't see any easy way to | remove the straw below the top few inches, short of knocking holes in the | wall. | | I'm having cavity wall insulation soon. I guess the straw is going to | prevent the stuff they use being injected - at least in the front wall. | | Any comments/advice gratefully received.

Find out what size holes they will have to drill for your insulation, at what matrix and drill some smaller or same size holes to see what is in the cavity elsewhere. In the 1960s, IIRC building regs demanded an empty cavity so that is what you probably have.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Birds? They'll bring in huge quantities of straw and the like to build a platform for a nest. Thr front gable above the bay of my parents

1930's semi was stuffed with straw that the blackbirds and starlings had brought in over the years. This isn't a small space either...

Getting it out before the proper cavity wall insulation is installed is a good idea.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks for the advice. I guess it's the birds. I've ended up clearing out as much as possible(but can't access the lower half of the cavity). The cavity wall people have said it's not a problem for them and they can blow a lot out before filling the cavity.

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
Steve