Mould appearing on interior upstairs room wall

Hi,

In my upstairs bedroom wall, black type mould has started to appear on the interior wall...where the ceiling meets the wall.

This is appearing on the upstairs front of house wall...mainly in the

2 top corners. I went up into the attic and tried to check the 2 corners from there as best i could...there was a lot of beams etc...but as best as i could see there didnt seem to be any damp.

Any recommendations to get rid of this. Also what is it a sign of.

Thanks, Kieran

Reply to
kieran5405

I had mould on the ceiling in the corner between wall and ceiling. In my case I believe it was caused by condensation on a cold spot where the loft insulation had been pushed back during fitting new soffits. The insulation is now back in place, but only time will tell if I'm right.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I would agree that it is likely to be a 'cold spot' for some reason. It was a major problem in my house - old lathe and plaster with stone walls and no insulation anywhere. What cured it in my case was to strip off all the lathe and plaster, insulate and reline. Very much warmer house with no condensation and no mould.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Most likely condensation. Open a window.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

As others have said, almost certainly condensation. Quite by chance, just had a local builder in to check on a small patch right up in one corner of the bedroom - these days I ain't mobile enough to squeeze up tight under the ridge. Absolutely no dampness above. When I was painting and repairing soffits and fascias a couple of years ago I found a load of old rag stuffed uner the bottom row of tiles, which I oiked out. I suspect a previous owner had the dame problem and though damp was getting in under tiles.

Best way to get rid of the stuff, wash over gently and dab the area with household bleach to kill off the spores, otherwise it'll soon be back.

Reply to
The. Wanderer

I would think that this would depend on where you live. Up here in the frozen North West, we always keep as many windows closed as possible.

To the original poster, try spraying the mold with Dettol's Mold and Mildew remover spray. I have recommended this before after trying it in our mold prone bathroom and it has kept it at bay for over 12 months now. (It has no radiator as it stays warm if you have a shower or a bath is run.)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Three answers - ventilation, ventilation and ventilation.

Some friends of ours had this problem. They had well-sealed double- glazed windows which they kept shut, and took baths with the batroom door open. Your problem is caused by moisture in the air condensing on a cold part of the wall/ceiling. You can scrub the mould off, but the solution to its recurring is proper ventilation. Do you have an extractor fan in your bathrrom? Do you bathe with the door shut and allow the wet air to be extracted, rather than passing into the house? Is the first floor of your house well-ventilated, or do you keep the windows shut all the time?

Three answers - ventilation, ventilation and ventilation.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Richard - yes ventilation is one of the keys, and you are right about warm moist air from the bathroom, and probably the kitchen too, but the OP doesn't give us any info on the type, age, etc of the property. It could well be that even with ventilation - and even with plenty of that in the old days in my house we got condensation because the walls were so damn cold - even with ventilation, cold walls will create condensation and hence mould, so the use of insulating wall paper may be worth looking at as an easy option

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Check the roof felt has not deteriated above this area ,requires removal of first row tiles to verify,it is a common fault,but easily rectified

Reply to
ALex

Answers 4, 5 & 6 are - ventilation.

Reply to