Subject Author Posted Replies

External Cabling Requirements?
I have a power cable running to my garage (not installed by me). It comes off a secondary consumer unit, runs under the floor and then out through a hole punched in a vent, then up beside the...
17
17

Treated timber - dangerous?
Is the treatment applied to building timber (trusses etc) the same in UK as in USA? Look at for details of the risks from CCA (Chromated Copper Arsenate). Peter http://www.cpsc.gov/phth/cca.html
9
9

Architects for extension
Not strictly DIY, but does anyone have any advice on getting a house extension done? I'm getting a few architects around to give me guidance on what's viable. Is there anything I should look out for...
1
1

Are speedfit fittings compatible with Hep20 pipe?
I have 22mm speedfit fittings and some 22mm Hep20 pipe and collars. Is there any reason why they are incompatible? Cheers
10
10

Convert and demolish: requirements?
Hi Can someone explain the various necessary permissions etc that would be required to turn 2 terraced houses into one, and demolish the other 2 to make a garden? Just a lil weekend diy job. Regards,...
1
1

Security Violation
I thought you might like to look at this, it is very disturbing Subject: Passport details Dear All, This may come as quite a surprise but a website that holds everyone's passport details. When I...
28
28

Taper fittings
If a valve is marked as having a 1/4" BSPT fitting, is that a taper fitting ? Must one be used or is a normal fitting OK ?
6
6

Filling around balanced flue?
Any suggestions as to the best thing to fill around a balanced flue for a boiler? Its likely that the hole in the wall is not going to be exactle the same size as the flue and therefore needs...
4
4

Auto darkening welding masks
I'd held off buying one up to now because I was perfectly happy using my flip (nod) down mask. I'd tried one out, and was impressed, but didn't fancy shelling out £150 for one. I spotted some on ebay...
25
25

New Saws
Hmmm, settled down tonight to start off on the first of 8 wardrobe doors. 8 mortise & tenon joints per door. All cut by hand in American Black Walnut. I have no problem chopping mortises out by hand....
3
3

Integrated Fridge Freezer Problem
The fridge compartment of my integrated fridge freezer has stopped working, the freezer is still working. Why has only the fridge stopped working?, what could be the possible reasons for the failure....
1
1

Self cutting taps?
We have a downstairs toilet that is being decorated. We want to replace the small sink in there, but the stop-cock for water in the house is deranged (hidden in a very inaccessible place and caked up...
5
5

Vinyl on top of vinyl wallpaper?
Hi folks, has anyone success in putting vinyl wallpaper on top of existing vinyl wallpaper? In the room I'm working on, the original vinyl paper is sound and is painted over with vinyl silk emulsion....
5
5

Smells from Next Door
The next door neighbours son smokes in his bedroom and the smell is seeping into our back bedroom. I've had one floorboard up and the dividing wall appears to be in a bad condition. What would be the...
3
3

Old style storage heater spares
I have had for about 30 years an old-style storage heater - the kind that's full of bricks and takes in electricity overnight and gives it out during the day. This week it has gone stone cold. My...
6
6