Subject Author Posted Replies

Gas Cooker off mains?!
I am about to move house where in the kitchen is a gas cooker, with a plug connected to the electricity supply. I am wondering what this does. If does not need mains connection, this will be great as...
17 years ago 6

Landlord's gas safety certificate - cost?
Hi I'm finding it incredibly difficult to find a plumber who's even interested in doing one; worrying in itself, but also in that if and when I finally do sign somebody up I'm going to have to pay him...
17 years ago 9

Chipboard flooring unusual
I have moved a radiator and on lifting the flooring I have chipboard with a blue rigid foam backing - total thickness incl. chipboard is 45mm. Can`t find a stockist anywhere - it may be called...
17 years ago 1

Re: arena kitchens
IKEA do good kitchens, at sensible prices too. That is a matter of opinion. I love the one who comes in on Wednesdays tho. Expensive, but worth every penny.
17 years ago 2

How to remove rusty screw
I'm trying to replace the broken hinges on top-opening uPVC double glazed unit. But some of the screws attaching them to the frame have rusted through. I sprayed WD40 but I get no grip at all with my...
17 years ago 7

Re: Anyone tried felt-backed carpet?
A carpet fitter acquaintance fitted a felt backed carpet for me. He advised me to get the best underlay I could afford. He reckons its more important than the quality of the carpet. Quite pleased with...
17 years ago 2

oil fired boiler help
I have just bought a house in which the boiler(make unknown at pres) has apparently seized, that is the circulation pumpworks but boiler seems dead. The house has been empty for some months and as it...
17 years ago 10

Glueless laminate floor and glue..
Right, now I'm confused. I've bought Screwfix's Kaindl glueless laminate floor system and the front of the instructions shows a symbol representing a tube of glue with crossing out through it....
17 years ago 11

Re: Lighting in Greenhouse
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:53:42 GMT, "Pete Smith" wrote: Do you mean just to be able to see, or do you mean supplementary light to assist growth? .andy To email, substitute .nospam with .gl Good point....
17 years ago 4

Silicone lubricant
I've recently installed a 4 fold shower screen from B&Q and the last job on the instructions is to squeeze silicone lubricant between the hinges. Unfortunately it looks like I accidently threw away...
17 years ago 17

Putting decking over area with manholes
I'm thinking of decking out the back of my house. Problem is there are 3 manholes which will be covered by it. Is it sufficient to make sure than the joists do not inhibit accessing these and by...
17 years ago 3

Using glass blocks?
Hi, I want to place glass blocks, in single or double row, in some internal walls (stud walls and also light brick walls). A few questions: 1) I don't have a problem creating the wooden frames as you...
17 years ago 2

Weeds on driveway
My driveway (which is built with paving slabs) has been somewhat neglected over the past year, and as a result has a major problem with weeds (some as big as triffids ;) ) growing up between the...
17 years ago 10

skateboard ramp build
Hi all, A frequent lurker an occasioanl poster here to pick the brains of this very knowledgeable group... As the title suggests, I'm going to build a "small" half-pipe skate ramp for he kids in my...
17 years ago 2

dishwasher problems
Wonder if anyone can offer any advise please. I bought my first dishwasher -- second hand -- about a month ago. I have now got small bits of rust like stuff on my cutlery. The cutlery is stainless...
17 years ago 14