Subject Author Posted Replies

Cistern goes bump in the night
My cistern (not sure if it is the WC or the water tank in the loft) is making a banging noise during the night. Central heating is turned off, no taps are drawing water, WC has not been flushed,...
5
5

Treating Wooden Posts
Whats the best thing to treat a 5"x5" post with before it gets buried as a gate post? Thanks Phil
16
16

Cutting kitchen worktop
Does anyone have any tips for cutting a kitchen worktop (laminate top) such that the end is as smooth and chip free as possible. I've not attempted it yet, but soon I'll need to chop one down to size....
18
18

Power to an outbuilding
I am in danger of becoming the latest victim of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". I want to operate a 3-phase lathe and lighting in a new outbuilding and am trying to sort out what I need to...
10
10

Low Voltage Bathroom Power
I know mains is out as far as elecrical sockets in the bathroom are concerned (well, apart from shavers of course), but what about a low voltage (12v) supply from a transformer located outside the...
19
19

Gas fires and ventilation
Hello Can anyone tell me what the ventialtion requirements are for installaing a gas fire on a bedroom (and is it different from any other room)? Cheers John
6
6

Gledhill Boilermate 2000 Thermal Store Query
Can anyone tell me how the above system prevents hot water from entering the heating circuit when either the thermostat is set to very low or the heating is switched off? My system has constant hot...

Pressurized Hot water for loft conversion
I'm planning to convert the loft to include a new bath/shower room. I'd like to get rid of the big cold water tank which is only used to feed the hot water tank. I'm sure we can find space for the...
5
5

Fan assistance for wood stove chimney - possible?
We have a wood burning stove which works well in just about every way except for one thing. If you try and light it when there is a North wind blowing it smokes like crazy. Once it's alight and...
19
19

MODERN ART
Visit my ebay listing at ?ViewItem&item=3704424561&category=31346&sspagenameAlso visit my website at...
4
4

External Cabling Requirements?
I have a power cable running to my garage (not installed by me). It comes off a secondary consumer unit, runs under the floor and then out through a hole punched in a vent, then up beside the...
17
17

Treated timber - dangerous?
Is the treatment applied to building timber (trusses etc) the same in UK as in USA? Look at for details of the risks from CCA (Chromated Copper Arsenate). Peter http://www.cpsc.gov/phth/cca.html
9
9

Architects for extension
Not strictly DIY, but does anyone have any advice on getting a house extension done? I'm getting a few architects around to give me guidance on what's viable. Is there anything I should look out for...
1
1

Are speedfit fittings compatible with Hep20 pipe?
I have 22mm speedfit fittings and some 22mm Hep20 pipe and collars. Is there any reason why they are incompatible? Cheers
10
10

Convert and demolish: requirements?
Hi Can someone explain the various necessary permissions etc that would be required to turn 2 terraced houses into one, and demolish the other 2 to make a garden? Just a lil weekend diy job. Regards,...
1
1