Old style storage heater spares

I have had for about 30 years an old-style storage heater - the kind that's full of bricks and takes in electricity overnight and gives it out during the day. This week it has gone stone cold. My question is, are, is it likely to be the thermostat or fuse? I've taken the top off and had a look, unfortunately I don't know what to look for! Does anyone know if parts are available for these heaters, maybe on a website?

TIA

Reply to
Doreen Paterson

Could be either, if it's the fuse it'll have blown for a reason, maybe a duff element or melted wire. It needs more of a diagnostic session on it, are you sure you want to do it, sounding as you do a little inexperienced in all things wiring. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

----------------------------- There's a place down the road from me, that has thousands of these. Its called the dump :o)

I prefer my heating to come on more or less instantaneously. Storage heater don't come on when you want heat, they don't go off when you switch them off either, they are largely uncontrollable compared to modern methods of heating. unreliable and inefficient. Stand-by for all the old dudes who think they're the beesnees .:o) rob p.s this has nothing to do with an incident in my apprenticeship, nearly burning down the church hall after wiring 8 storage heater off the same length of 2.5tw/earth. :o)

Reply to
rob

What makes you think modern ones are any different? In principle they aren't...

Either. B-) It should be wired directly back to it's own fuse in the off peak fuse box. Check that fuse for a start, replace if blown and see what happens. If it blows again find the fault before trying again.

I've had two thermostats (charge controllers) fail in the cottage heaters. Same fault for both, sever corrosion around one of terminals causing it to literaly fall apart.

Find the maker, model and part number and try CPCs Part Finder service, think it's probably best on the phone. Details should be on

Or there is HRPC,

though I'm not sure how much they carry for electric heaters.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Storage rads of that age might have asbestos in them...

Do you know if the supply is live as far as the heater ?

There`s often a melt-able link in them to prevent overheat if someone covered it, and they`re quite often the cause - these should be fairly easy to obtain i`d have thought from any larger electrical suppliers.

Can you isolate the heater and check the element for continuity without dismantling it ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

It may have a safety cut-out inside that has... cut out. These have to be manually re-set. They are bi-metal strips that click off due to overheat and have a little white button on them. Make sure the supply is off, press the button, if it had tripped, you will hear a click as it re-sets.

HOWEVER it has probably tripped for a reason.

If the heater had been covered this would have been the cause, and the trip can be re-set.

If the main thermostat has failed, then it will overheat again, and the main stat will need changing.

Get it checked.

Bill

Reply to
BillP

Thanks for all suggestions, I do know that electricity is getting through to the heater.

Have spoken to someone locally who thinks he can fix the problem.

Thanks again.

Doreen Paterson