Removing old storage heater - instructions needed!

I am intending to remove an old storage heater from my flat. I do not know the brand, but it is around 20 years old. I have other storage heaters in my flat, of a slightly different style, which are all Dimplex heaters. Below is a link to a picture of the heater.

Does anyone know what type of heater this is and the best way to uninstall it?

Thanks.

Moo

nearby . Switch the electricity off....disconnect the cable at the aforementioned connector ...unles it has been connected by a plug in which case no need to turn the elecy off..just unplug it ..Turn elec back on . You then need to remove the heater from the wall....Not sure how they are held on the wall ..probably they just hang on brackets bolted to the wall in which case it needs to be lifted off them,or maybe it also sits on the floor as well as being affixed to the wall but these beasts are very heavy because they have bricks in them so best to remove the cover and remove the bricks then take the heater off the wall ...I did read a suggestion that they had asbestos in them but dunno about that .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Are you seriously saying you have no ide how to unscrew the case, empty it and remove it from a wall? I know some people can be thick, but this is a classic. Would you ever survive without turning to a newsgroup for trivial matters! You can ask that in a newsgroup if you like, assuming you know how to use the computer without a further post!

Reply to
h.tees

Exactly WHERE did you read that this type of storage heater contained abestos? Or did you just make that up? Thought so! There are usually two brackets underneath acting as stands. Two brackets hold the heater on the wall. If the person can't use a spanner or screwdriver, or do anything for himself then there is just no hope.

Reply to
h.tees

In fairness to the poster there are a couple of issues she/ he may be concerned about. The first is asbestos. Older storage heaters had this in as insulators and fire retardants I gather. I know Creda has a list of those model numbers which contained asbestos.

I dont know the make of this particular heater given in the picture but if it is only 20 years old it is unlikely to have asbestos in it. That I can say with some safety. Mine on the other hand have to be checked because they are 1970's. As it happens mine are free of asbestos too.

The second point is taking them apart. Its not as easy as it looks with some models.

I have investigated mine ( because I have a new one coming) . First I switch the main off because I dont think all of them are that safe and I wouldnt rely on the after 8 am principle to keep me safe. I have then undone the plug and disconnected all wires from that.

I have now taken the front off and that leaves an inner cover which in my case has a model and makers number on it . The OP may find theirs does too! Finding the crews for this panel can be difficult. Mine were hidden at the back and under the bottom. Remove that and you will find bricks/ insulating material and an element running through the each brick layer. They come apart with a bit of force. Dismantled and in pieces to dispose of.

Reply to
endymion

I have been told the older heaters have asbestos in them. Creda have a page which lists the older models that were made this way. If its a 1980 model its not likely to have asbestos in it. Mine are 1975 and dont have any but apparently some 1960's/ 70's models did have. They were mostly the bigger ones - about a foot wide. The " slimline" ones are a later generation.

Yes, the do hang on brackets as well as fet ( I have both on mine The bracket is a couple of steel strips notled on the wall and the heater slots into them. I took my heater to pieces before getting it off the wall.

Reply to
endymion

What a helpful reply! As I said in my original post, I'm fine with the other storage heaters I have, and I have found them very easy to remove / disconnect. It's just this different type one that is much more confusing...maybe you should come here and attempt it before making such comments....

Thanks to the other posters. Endymion - as you said a lot of screws are hidden behind and underneath (I had already spotted that, h.tees!), but I wanted to ensure there's nothing else important I'd missed.

Reply to
Moo

It does not matter, if you get an inkling that there may be asbestos in the system, you just do not touch and then get the experts in. Why shorten your life by 30 years, due to ignorance? Local real ale pub has just had a new boiler fitted and the installers refuse to remove the old one for the same reason.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I think what would be a VERY useful follow up is if someone knows how to find out which do and which do not contain asbestos. Is it a case of finding out model by model? That could be v. tricky as many manufacturers have probably gone bust or merger or whatever.

There is an interesting question here regarding responsibility of health and safety issues too...

ps Can we have less of this crap attacking posters for expressing their concerns? (I doubt it though: the morons and self-professed know-it-all's of this world are all over the place).

Reply to
dave

I agree, this is a difficult one. It seems to me the first time you might become aware there is asbestos in older heaters is when you start to dismantle them. I was given a link to the creda site by someone on another newsgroup ( a teachers newsgroup of all places!). But that site only deals with creda numbers and of course you have to have the number. Again , on my heater that was hidden under the main cover and I was already taking it apart when I found it.

As you say though, many of the firms are bust/ merged etc and I couldnt find very much info about old heaters at all.

That raises questions. My biggest fear was finding asbestos and then having to find someone to remove the damned heater safely. If they were not so heavy I wouldnt even have dismanteled it. I would have taken it to the tip wholesale.

Reply to
endymion

replying to h.tees, Andypk wrote: You come across as a seriously bitter pathetic person. Learn to help people or stay away from people if you cant. Id prefer to deal with someone who asked rather than a blinkered muppet who knew it all - hopefully this post may have warned you about asbestos which you clearly didnt have a clue about - but you were so arrogant you could actually have endangered peoples lives. Nice man

Reply to
Andypk

Feel free to ask how to tell a recent post from an 8 year old one ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

replying to Andypk, geeppe wrote: Oh the irony. You do realise you are replying to a post from eight years ago?

Reply to
geeppe

replying to Andy Burns, Andypk wrote: I can read the date - its apparent by your response people do read old stuff - I replied just in the hope the person who I was aiming the comment at is still alive and reads it.

Reply to
Andypk

On Friday, 22 August 2008 20:20:56 UTC+1, h.tees ...

You made the effort to join this forum just to be an arse?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

WTF are these thing coming from? Someone looking up old stuff for why?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Read the link above...

Its a web site that scrapes content from usenet and gives a wrapper to post to it, so that it gets lots of juicy content to sell advertising against.

Problem is it promotes and highlights ancient threads that fell off everyone else's news servers years ago, and people can't seem to resist leaping into years old conversations! The moment they do that it then propagates a broken thread back into usenet, where you can't see any of the original messages, and the posters don't seem to comprehend the need to quote some of the original content so that we know what they are talking about.

Its a bit like AOL and eternal September all over again!

Reply to
John Rumm

Sounds like time for an auto-canceller.

Reply to
Huge

Home hub policy is to find a decades old article originally posted to a Usenet newsgroup to which home hub users reply. Then home hub distribute these answers back to the Usenet with an attached link advertising their web site. Users of, say, the uk.d-i-y newsgroup are not reading these 10 year old articles. They are only seeing isolated answers that never have any reference to the question being asked or any other contextual information. Home hub tell us the age of the original post.

The replies you are seeing to your post are not coming from people using home hub. They are coming from users of Usenet newsgroups which home hub are starting to spam with self advertising links.

Reply to
alan_m

There has to be a reason why people do not see the date. As has been said before the web portal for this group maybe has this info missing if viewed on a small screen in the same way that we blind would only know the date if we searched for it to keep the speech short and less hassle. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff