Taper fittings

If a valve is marked as having a 1/4" BSPT fitting, is that a taper fitting ? Must one be used or is a normal fitting OK ?

Reply to
G&M

If it's for gas (which a lot of taper fittings are for) then I'd say yes it must be taper. Ditto for steam, compressed air or anything else dangerous.

Otherwise if it fits and works, OK.

Reply to
John Stumbles

BSPT is indeed a taper thread - BSPP is a parallel thread (though often both get referred to as BSP). I was always taught:

BSPT female with BSPT male = ok (with sealant on thread) BSPP female with BSPP male = ok (uses bonded seal or fibre washer or similar to seal) BSPP male with BSPT female = ok (with sealant on thread)

Anything else = not ok

That's what the guys that taught me hydraulic systems design said anyway. The guy that taught me plumbing said that anything will seal with enough hemp and snot ;-)

HTH,

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

It's for oil. BSPP male into BSPT female which you seem to say is OK.

Thanks.

Reply to
G&M

Agggh!! Sorry, what my brain meant to type was BSPP female with BSPT male is ok. Unfortunately my hands weren't listening. It wasn't til I saw your reply that I realised. Apologies.

BSPP male with BSPT female is not recommended because you do not get very many threads engaging, particularly a problem with harder materials (eg plated steel) / higher pressures.

Apologies again for the confusion.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

Agggh!! Sorry, what my brain meant to type was BSPP female with BSPT male is ok. Unfortunately my hands weren't listening. It wasn't til I saw your reply that I realised. Apologies.

BSPP male with BSPT female is not recommended because you do not get very many threads engaging, particularly a problem with harder materials (eg plated steel) / higher pressures.

Apologies again for the confusion.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

As you say agggh. But many thanks for pointing it out before I made a potentially fatal mistake.

Reply to
G&M