Architects for extension

Not strictly DIY, but does anyone have any advice on getting a house extension done?

I'm getting a few architects around to give me guidance on what's viable.

Is there anything I should look out for or ask of them?

Any other advice relating to getting extensions done would be welcome.

Cheers,

Reply to
Richard Markham

Get yourself a copy of Laurie Williamson's excellent book - which you can buy from Amazon by following

you local library will probably have it.

That explains the whole process of planning permission and building regs approval and managing the actual construction project.

If you know exactly what you want to achieve (and you will have a better idea once you have read the book!) you may find that you don't need an architect.

An architect can be useful if you're not too sure what you want, and need lots of guidance. Otherwise, an architectural technician can draw plans for planning permission and building regs purposes, and will be a lot cheaper. If you're doing anything which has any major structural implication on the existing building, you may need to consult a structural engineer.

If you're *really* into DIY, you could draw your own plans - as I did - with help from the book mentioned above and lots of useful advice from the local planners and building inspectors.

Reply to
Set Square