extension ring for fan box?

Does anyone make an extension ring rated for hanging ceiling fans? Am about to dive into rewiring upstairs bedrooms, and one of the things I'd like to do is change the ceiling fixture boxes for fan-rated ones. Given my druthers, I'd put extension rings on them as well, seeing as the house was originally wired with switch legs so there's lots of wires in your average ceiling box (and that is also the logical place to splice into a circuit for future additions.) But before I truck down to the Real Electrical Supply Place (which involves getting up at

0-dark-hundred so as not to be late for work) I wanted to make sure they existed.

thanks

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

*I have never seen a fan rated extension box. There are deep fan boxes available though, 4"octagonal x 2 1/8" deep. I think that I have seen them at Home Depot.
Reply to
John Grabowski

That's the biggest I've seen too. Side bracket deep 4" round box. I suppose, if he really needed the space, he could mount a deep 1900 box to a block of wood and drill out the ring collar and through bolt it. As long as the box isn't the "sole support" of the fan, it's OK.

Reply to
RBM

*Roy you've reminded me of how I used to mount fans before the proliferation of fan braces and boxes. I would use a 2" x 4" block of wood spanned over several ceiling joists with 2 lengths of 1/4" threaded rod penetrating into the box. I would then attach the fan's mounting bracket directly to the threaded rod. With everything double nutted the fan was very secure, but it was a lot more effort then what is now required with the new fan rated hardware.
Reply to
John Grabowski

John, that's exactly what I used to do, and you could do pull ups on that sucker. I think we're dating ourselves

Reply to
RBM

For whatever it's worth....,

I've been going through the ceiling fan box hunt routine recently. One thing I found is that at my local Home Depot and Lowes all of the electrical junction boxes etc. are in the electrical section -- EXCEPT for the ceiling fan boxes -- duh.

The ceil> Does anyone make an extension ring rated for hanging ceiling fans? Am

Reply to
RonABC