electric outlet box adjustable extension ring?

Several web pages recommend using these to extend an outlet or switch box when wood is installed over a wall that has existing outlet boxes. The problem is, I can't find them anywhere, even online. Lowe's only has them in specific depths, none of which are what I need. Does anyone know where I can get them?

Thanks for your help!

-dan z-

-- Protect your civil rights! Let the politicians know how you feel. Join or donate to the NRA today!

slate_leeper

Have you tried an electrical supply house, like the ones the contractors use?

Call around to a few dedicated lighting stores in your area. Many of them have walk-up part counters in the back, sometimes accessible via the back door. These places are hidden gems for all things electrical.

Drive around to the back of the lighting store. If you see a bunch of pickups and panel trucks with ladders on top, you'll know you've hit pay dirt.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Rudy

That's a keeper.

Reply to
Oren

I have never seen a plaster ring with the 4 corners tapped. (the ones I have seen are not tapped on any corner)

This doesn't look like anything that will work for existing boxes.

Reply to
metspitzer

I'm not sure, but look at the bottom right corner of this page:

Full URL:

*LTIP

Reply to
DerbyDad03

After the wood or other material is installed you can't install any kind of extension that screws to the box. As DD03 points out in the link, adjustable sleeves are made for this purpose. They come in steel and plastic, and I believe HD sells the plastic ones

Reply to
RBM

Thanks for the suggestions. Still haven't found what the home-improvement web pages mention, however. The "mudring" appears from the pictures to require welding to the original box, and attaches to the boxes' bottom. The MSC unit is not adjustable, and is the same as what I found at Lowe's. Home Depot was mentioned but is one of the web sites I previously searched, with no luck.

-dan z-

-- Protect your civil rights! Let the politicians know how you feel. Join or donate to the NRA today!

slate_leeper

re: Home Depot was mentioned but is one of the web sites I previously searched, with no luck

Home Depot's and Lowes web sites do not list every product they carry on the shelves. Not even close.

For example, search for Stainless Steel Screws at the HD or Lowes sites. You won't find the little packets of stainless screws that they stock in the specialty hardware drawers. That's just one simple example. If you really want to know if HD (or Lowes) carries something in the store, you have to go to the store and look on the shelves.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: The "mudring" appears from the pictures to require welding to the original box...

This is just a guess, but I doubt any extension or mudring requires welding. When an electrician shows up to add outlets to a remodelled room, I don't think a wleder is part or his aresenal.

Have you tried contacting a electrical parts (or lighting) store like I suggested earlier?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

OK, I found two products. What do you all think of these?

These look like they can be stacked and/or sanded to produce the exact depth needed. Disadvantage - they come in 25 packs.

Looks quick and easy, but will they be sturdy enough? Alternative: cut exact-depth spacers from steel tubing?

-dan z-

-- Protect your civil rights! Let the politicians know how you feel. Join or donate to the NRA today!

slate_leeper

This is not a code-compliant solution. You actually need to extend the box, not just bring the device forward. The NEC regulates the allowable gap between the front edge of the box and the wall surface when the wall is made of combustible material, like wood paneling.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

re: The MSC unit is not adjustable

I don't know why you doubt me.

The MSC unit I suggested shows a manufacturer's (Cooper Crouse-Hinds) part number of TP709.

Searching the Cooper Crouse-Hinds site

TP709, I found this document:

Page 13, which shows the TP709, includes this text:

"Fits snugly inside all 3" =C3=97 2" width boxes. Maximum adjustable depth

7=E2=81=848". Furnished with mounting screws."

QED

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Dan Z,

Take a look at the following link.

As others here have mentioned, you may need to visit an electrical supply house or one of the big box stores to see what they actually carry. I do know that Home Depot carries the plastic ones like in your Innovations link.

I prefer the Arlington BE1s because they also protect the sides of the receptacle from possibly contacting the existing metallic box. That may be a concern depending upon how far out you need to extend the receptacle. In many cases, you'll find the receptacle wrapped with electrical tape to prevent that. These seem to provide for a neater installation.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

What's wrong with one of these:

They are available individually at an electrical supply. There's no reason to trim them, but they can be easily cut with aviation snips or BX cutters.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Well, guys, I certainly appreciate all your thoughtful help. The BE1 mentioned above looks like probably the best solution for my needs. They also make the BE2 to fit the four-inch boxes, of which I have a few.