New furniture !

Hi guys Im getting married in about a month and right now im in the midst of filling my house with all kinds of things, and all of a sudden my wife(to be) said "NO! we cant have that bed, because it is made of chipboard(particle board), and that wil break fast".

Then she continued to complain about all the furnitures I had spent valuable time and money on. I my self dont see any fault in these kind of products, but on the other hand I'm note the kind that fix things, I only make them and then if they break I throw them away.

My question here is how long is the longevity of furniture made out of chipboard ? and is there any other good cheap alternatives ?

************************* From Sweden with wood...

Learn from the best -

wmtesty

Sounds like the 'chipboard' furniture will probably out-last the marriage at this rate!

Like any product, that furniture comes in a variety of qualities. The better stuff will probably out-last a cheaper mostly wood product. A lot will also depend on the way the furniture is used. If it is 'road-hard and put away wet' it won't last nearly as long as if it is treated with tender-loving care.

Personally, I'd go with a decent wood product with a veneer surface. It won't be as durable as a solid wood product but probably more so than a chip-board. I'd also look at the quality of the drawer glides, the construction of the drawers (dove-tail joints, bottoms that are integrated into the sides and not just stapled on, etc.

Spend a little more now and you will spend less in the long run - both on furniture and on divorce lawyer costs!

And the sooner you learn the "MMM" (Married Man Motto) the better off you will be: A HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE!

Reply to
Mark

Sure, real furniture. It costs, though.

Reply to
cybercat

i guess it depends on how rough she plans you to be in bed..... I've never seen particle board furniture break under normal usage.

S. Barker

You have learned two very important lessons.

  1. The compromise-quotient of your wife to be.

  1. That you should let the wife make the minor decisions: what kind of furniture to have, when you should ask for a raise, where to live, how many kids to have, and the like. You, meanwhile, decide the major issues: Should Red China be admitted to the United Nations, whether there's life on Mars, is there a god, etc.

Reply to
HeyBub

First lesson in marriage is that you can't have what you want. Decide first on a budget and stick to it. Then, decide where to put quality. For quality or more expensive items, focus on those which will have most use and/or are focal in the home. (Nobody sees the bedroom and it doesn't matter what you're sleeping on :o)

Chipboard will last if treated right - hard to find a computer desk or book case that isn't c.b.

You can schlep around to Goodwill and garage sales or auctions and, perhaps, find stuff that is cheap and functional. A lot of ugly stuff can be painted and made useful. Depending where you live, you might find an old table for 50 or 100 that is much better quality than fakeboard for the same price. Also buy a homeowner's DIY book so's you can both learn how to do stuff economically.

Best of luck.

Reply to
Norminn

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:a88d8b1f-4bc5-48ed-addc-073825f59411 @x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

If you can't work this out how are you gonna work out the hundreds of non-trivial stuff to come? Seriously!

Accept her as-is. She will not change to your way later. The only person you can chage is yourself.

If those two things are unacceptable to you, maybe you should pass on this one.

Reply to
Red Green

Let me understand this! The future bride spends much of her life finding the perfect man to marry. And now she wants to change you?!! What is the world coming to?

Put the bed made of chipboard in the third bedroom ("dog house"). Let us know later, how long it last.

Reply to
Oren

Married Man lesson #1. She is right, even if she is wrong. Married Man lesson #2. She picks out the furniture Married Man lesson #3. She is right, even if she is wrong.

Sound like you went to Rooms To Go (to the dump).

My experience has been that any furniture made out of chipboard is crap. The screws strip out, the drawers fall apart, any piece of length warps and if you even have a glass of water in the same room with it the stuff turns to sawdust. I'm sure good chipboard furniture could be made but the nicer furniture price mark is made of solid wood. When it comes to furniture the words good and cheap can't be used in the same sentence.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

You might want to look for high quality solid wood used furniture. Usually available at bargain prices.

Reply to
Art

Get out your wallet!

Reply to
Bill

A man thinks the woman he marries will never change; she will. A woman thinks she can change the man she marries; she can't.

There are exceptions. To the common female complaint: "Why are all the good men married?", the answer is simple: it's marriage that makes them good!

Reply to
HeyBub

Bah! Man-up, dude.

They put formaldehyde in Vietnamese BEER and it didn't bother anybody!

No, wait...

Reply to
HeyBub

"Mark" wrote

And this Happy Wife would not appreciate being left out of the furniture buying process. Talk about asking for trouble, furnishing the place without her input? It's just common sense, if my intended went ahead and furnished the place with crappy chipboard, I'd be annoyed, but even if it was the finest hardword, if it's ugly, same thing. She's got to like it too.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Thats why they are short

Reply to
ransley

Who mentioned "common sense" :-/

Reply to
Oren

All this time, I thought beer made them talk fast and have an accent!

Reply to
Oren