Subject Author Posted Replies

Cleaning a fridge (sodium bicarbonate)
Years ago I was told that baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) should be used to clean a fridge, rather than detergent. Is there any basis for this and for what reason?
2
2

Modern [table] lamps rant
Why is it that table and desk lamps are so badly designed nowadays, I have several I have bought over the past couple of years and not one of them is ideal. It's not as if getting it right would be...
16
16

OT: binoculars
Just bought some binoculars (20x50) off Amazon, made, inevitably, in China. These: comparing with my Pentax 8x24 that I've had for years, the image seems not much bigger rather than the 2.5 times...
35
35

Recent WHO advice on masks - FFP? Reference to over 60s. Long.
<>Not everyone's favourite source, but worth investigating. It includes: "This week French health officials advised people to wear surgical masks rather than home made fabric ones as these afford...
21
21

Using a PC microphone on a car head unit??
Hi All, I have just bought a second hand Sony head unit which requires an external mic for Handsfree. Having done some research, these use a ?mono? 2.5mm jack. I have a spare PC that came with a sound...
7
7

France - England electricity link
According to the localish news the link between Normandy and Hampshire became operational yesterday , is the original Gridwatch recording this , the later copy GridWatch appears to have a dial IF2...
7
7

USB Webcam
I need a webcam that's [only] USB-connected, for both video and audio. (Because the PC I want to plug it into *only* has USB inputs) Despite scouring adverts for such a thing that claimed to be USB...
13
13

condensation in potting shed
how can I insulate my clear corrugated plastic roof as I have a LOT of water droplets on the inside. I was thinking of putting polystyrene on the inside of the roof would this work?
6
6

OT lost in transit (rant)
After years of having only a few items lost in the 'post'[1], since last December a third item that has now gone into tracking, has confirmation that it has been received into the system and then...
13
13

Don't believe the instructions
The kind of job oscillating tools were made for :-)
10
10

Multimeter leasds (2023 Update)
I have a "Precision Gold" PG 017 multi-meter that came with two probes (red and black) with hard points on the ends. Now though I need probes with grips to hold small wires. When looking at the...
10
10

HMRC Fraud Purveyor
Just blocked number: 07560790859 a voice wanted me to press '1' to connect.
26
26

Paint stripper
I have already stripped one Bannister using a heat gun and the wood looks really quite nice so I sanded it and it looks really good . Thought I would strip the other aide too but as it is close to the...
19
19

Non-mist mirrors for bathroom - suppliers?
My M-I-L has asked for a large (as in can see most of oneself) mirror for the wet room and I'm not having much luck in finding anything suitable. You can get 'full length' mirrors (though a lot of...
11
11

Medical records access?
I have full access to my surgeries Patient Record for some years now and very useful it is too. I know I can ask for individual records from hospital, I have had copies provided of MRI scans before,...
22
22