(OTish) Bikes, scooters and emissions ...

Idly wondering if increased use of cycles and other car-blocking forms of transport have led to a net decrease or increase in vehicle emissions.

Seeing a queue of cars grinding up a hill behind a solitary cyclist made me wonder if it's quite as good for the environment as sold (and pushed by the lycra community ...) ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You can guarantee that anything pushed as Green by an ArtStudent has absolutely failed to consider its knock on effect on anything else or the 'carbon footprint' of its manufacture and maintenance.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've just picked up some LED tubes from TLC. Traffic not heavy. But a traffic jam along the high street where the new fenced off cycle lanes mean buses stop in the middle of the road. And passengers have to cross the cycle lane to get to the pavement. And in the mile or so I used this road two ambulances with their lights on delayed, because traffic had nowhere to pull in to let them by.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

It's unlikely to be used as a mode of transport. Cycling is a leisure activity pure and simple.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

A lot of people use cycling as a way to get to/from work.

Reply to
charles

You obviously didn't watch last nights documentary about an 'eskimo' hunter in Greenland remarking that the weather had changed completely in the last ten years. That it is now difficult to find the correct packed icy-snow needed to build an igloo.

"I used to be able to visit all the remote villages with my husky-powered sled, and now I cannot because the ice is melting."

Reply to
Andrew

Yes but he'd be selected by the film maker because he'd say that. What about all the others who wouldn't say that? It sounds like typical 'things were better in the old days' winging to me. You can always find a moaner.

The greenys who control broadcasting are so convinced of their cause that they'll put any dirty trick. I bet these Eskimos are a bit short of money and thus easy to bribe.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

No comment! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

I drove to the computer store on a bicycle the other day, at -7C.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

yup. and cycle couriers in london

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Especially in Yorkshire.

GH

Reply to
Marland

However E-scooters are supposedly only going to be licensed if you do a driving test. Sadly not only are they still illegal in their private ownership state, to use in a public place, but the rental ones only require the user to sign that they have seen a video before their first hire, and that they have a provisional or full driving licence. Judging by the complaints and injuries of riders and pedestrians these devices have a safety issue, much of it due to lack of protection, training and inappropriate use. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Around my way there are quite a few a*******s riding electric scooters at speed on the pavements. They are completely silent when approaching (from behind). A serious accident just waiting to happen.

Reply to
alan_m

Yeah, in London a Traffic jam = not heavy traffic.

Too many cars, too little road. When was it they gave up trying to build roads to meet demand, 60s? It's nothing to do with Greta or bikes.

In places like London, the only practical solution is to reduce car journeys. It would be better if kids road bikes to school, rather than we had the massive traffic jams of parents dropping them off.

Reply to
Pancho

It's just crazy in some places. Some years ago I had a 9:00 start meeting in Woking. I thought I had been generous with my timings from Gloucestershire. I was half an hour late, the last 7 miles took me an hour; it seemed to be all chelsea tractors dropping off a single kid.

Reply to
newshound

You snipped the bit about how the road is now half the size it was a few months ago...

You snipped the bit about how the road is now half the size it was a few months ago. Due to them installing fenced off cycle lanes...

The schools were on holiday...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

An accidental touch on a passing handlebar can be productive. Best if you are big enough to discourage any retaliation.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I dunno, where you are, but it didn't make much difference here.

They did it here, in lockdown, mainly closing side roads.

The traffic jams are about the same. Traffic jams seem to be dominated by how long people are willing to wait in a queue.

It gets to a point where people figure the journey isn't necessary, or they find a quicker mode of transport.

I think on balance I prefer it, safer non car options.

I have been looking at the electric scooters, they look cool. I've no idea how practical they are.

Reply to
Pancho

Or spread them out time-wise.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Well, that's basically what I do. I only drive at certain times. Luckily, a lot of shops stay open until 8pm.

I do fancy an electric scooter. Although I'm not sure how the small wheels would handle potholes.

Reply to
Pancho