OTish. Battery

I wonder if my (EV, lithium) car weighs more when the battery is charged up.

There are no "tailpipe emissions", so it must weight the same? :-)

A lead acid battery "uses up" water however.

Reply to
harryagain

And when it dies, its spirit goes up to heaven. So you need to weigh it very carefully just before it dies, and again just after. Then you will now how heavy the battery's spirit was.

Reply to
polygonum

Lead acid only loses water when over charged. Sealed lead acid is 'sealed'

Charging any battery is only effecting a chemical change

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Blimey, we will have the van full of budgies next.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No. It gets ever-so-slightly heavier. You can work out how much with the capacity and E=MC^2.

On the other hand it's probably less than the fly on the windscreen :)

Again, no. It converts chemicals between states, all the same atoms are in there when it is flat as when it is charged.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

of course.

E=MC^2

it would be at least a couple of micrograms heavier.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Found this on the topic. Seems that process is even yet not fully understood.

harryagain

myth

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Isn't the phrase "valve regulated lead acid"?

Reply to
Andy Burns

If you mean a so called sealed car battery, they're not. They all have a vent somewhere. They have a clever design which traps 'moisture' given off and returns it to the electrolyte. In practice, with a decent charging system they don't need topping up in their lifetime.

Without that clever design of trap, they would need topping up with distilled water - same as they all once did.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup, and AGM, absorbed glass mat

NT