OTish: source of cheap optics for experiments

Hi all as the title - I'm looking for a source of cheap miscellaneous optical items - lenses, prisms, etc., for doing the sort of physics experiments that we did in O/A-level at school. Second-hand and mild defects acceptable. Any suggestions?
Ta J^n
jkn wrote:

The Raybox and accessories from Rapid might be worth a look: http://www.rapidonline.com/Education/Physics/Light-Optics
On Sunday, December 23, 2012 8:35:05 PM UTC, jkn wrote:

items - lenses, prisms, etc., for doing the sort of physics experiments that we did in O/A-level at school. Second-hand and mild defects acceptable. Any suggestions?

Dead cameras, especially SLRS, they have much bigger optical parts than pocket cams. Maybe ask on freecycle etc.
NT
On Sunday, December 23, 2012 9:12:05 PM UTC, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

items - lenses, prisms, etc., for doing the sort of physics experiments that we did in O/A-level at school. Second-hand and mild defects acceptable. Any suggestions?> Dead cameras, especially SLRS, they have much bigger optical parts than pocket cams. Maybe ask on freecycle etc.
And if you need really large pieces, you may find sainsburys deserts in rectangularish containers that are passably clear - fill with water. Or solv weld perspex and fill.
NT

Broken binoculars should give you convex, concave and a prism:-)
--
Tim Lamb

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/otish-source-of-cheap-optics-for-experiments-860433-.htm DA wrote: kn wrote:

If size does not matter (much), open a DVD-RW drive and carefully disassemble the laser diode sled. There are laser diodes (red + IR), beam splitter (two prisms), another prism , first surface mirror(s), several types of lens, diffraction grating and more stuff in there. Small but not impossible to handle. Bluray drive, if you can get your hands on it, would have even more, an older CD-ROM - some less parts but there are always interesting optical parts in any type of optical drive if you take it apart.
--

/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT
On 23/12/12 20:35, jkn wrote:

items - lenses, prisms, etc., for doing the sort of physics experiments that we did in O/A-level at school. Second-hand and mild defects acceptable. Any suggestions?

probably buy some old film SLRs and dismantle
Ebay...
mots SLRs have a prism and some old tamrom lens will be full of convex and concave elements.
--
Ineptocracy

Greenweld still exist in a form:
http://www.greenweld.co.uk/acatalog/Shop_Optical_117.html
Cheers Adam
Hi Chaps, thanks for the several suggestions. I should probably have added the info that I'm after 'known' strengths (1D, -1.5D, etc.), which probably makes the Camera lens route a bit hard work. I hadn't seen the Rapid set, that look promising.
Cheers Jon N
On 27/12/12 15:46, jkn wrote:

that I'm after 'known' strengths (1D, -1.5D, etc.), which probably makes the Camera lens route a bit hard work. I hadn't seen the Rapid set, that look promising.

If you cant w2ork out the lens strength from focussing a known object a known distance away onto a plane surface you shouldn't be messing with optics..
..and reading glasses will give you direct dioptre strength convex..as will 'close up' attachments that screw onto the front of a normal lens.
..and any optician will probably hand you scrap lenses in the concave direction..
--
Ineptocracy