Subject Author Posted Replies

Polyurethane alkyd resin floor paint - any good?
red-2-5ltr/52442 Hi, I'm wondering if that paint is any good - has anyone used it? The application is 3 tiled external cills on my front bay windows. Reason: 2 are tiled with clay tiles and would...
2
2

Exterior white paint
What sort of paint is used to make the white traffic markings on roads and in car parks ? It seems good stuff. Is it available commercially ? Jim Hawkins
12
12

Metro Tiles
I'm about to order 15m2 of metro tiles as part of a bathroom refurb., to be tiled brick style. One thing I'm concerned about is how to do the external corners. Presumably I'd have to cut all the...
11
11

independent testing of ufh electric systems (mat, cable etc.) I can't find any....
Is there any reputable body who's done a research/test on the reliability o f electric ufh systems? I'm amazed by the lack of info about reliability of electric underfloor hea ting mats, cables,...
4
4

Howdens Kitchens
I recently had a kitchen planned by Howdens and as they only supply to the trade, I ended up giving my kitchen fitter/ builder a checque for Howdens. The cheque was for the price quoted by Howdens...
15
15

German solar PV fail
Quite a spectacular fail in fact.
21
21

Under-roof spray foam
This has come up on this newsgroup a few times at least. A friend who I've been helping out over the last year who bought a house which needed lots of work doing has finally just had a new roof...
7
7

SDS Wants New Home
Anyone want an old-ish, very heavy, cheap Ferm/Screwfix SDS? Must be towards 10 years old. OK for concrete in the ground but so heavy it is almost unusable for holes in walls, etc. So far as I know,...
6
6

4 in one fix.
I have a 4 in one garden strimmer/pole saw/pole hedge cutter/brush cutter that I bough on eBay some 7 years ago. It of unknown Chinese manufacture and apart from having a new carb diagram a couple of...

Yet another one for Adam
Spurred on by Adam's use of CCTV I have installed my own cameras. Less hi tech, I have put several trail cams with PIR sensors and infra-red flash around the garden and garage. Mostly I was interested...
131
131

PVC waste pipe diameters
Is there any good reason why the solvent-weld & push-fit pipes with the same nominal diameters have different real outside diameters? (The only reason I can think of is so they can sell more pipe...
4
4

new mains drill
I have a decent SDS drill and a makita battery drill. But no mains drill since a killed a cheapy a few years ago. My makita does not have the oomph to turn the 50mm holesaw once the whole saw (d'ya...
27
27

tapered dowel
Having cut the hole in the newel base with a 50mm holesaw, it has ended up about 50.5mm and the newel turning spigot is not quite tight enough. I wish to fit my newel turnings using the method shown...
5
5

creosote smell
My son soaked the rafters of a bedroom extension with creosote about a year ago and unfortunately the smell of the creosote is still making it impossible for my granddaughter to sleep in the room. He...
9
9

How to replace 1120mm wide radiator?
Hi I have a radiator that is 1120mm wide. It is certainly more than 35 years old. I have two questions: The main motivation for replacing it is that it looks old and has lots of coats of peeling...
8
8