Metro Tiles

I'm about to order 15m2 of metro tiles as part of a bathroom refurb., to be tiled brick style.

One thing I'm concerned about is how to do the external corners. Presumably I'd have to cut all the bevelled ends off to get a consistent thickness.

Any advice appreciated.

mark

Reply to
mark

Thank f*ck for that. I thought you'd bought Windows 8.

Reply to
Graham.

be tiled brick style. One thing I'm concerned about is how to do the extern al corners. Presumably I'd have to cut all the bevelled ends off to get a c onsistent thickness. Any advice appreciated. mark

Corner tiles, of course. Hope they do them.

Reply to
Phil

On Tuesday 25 June 2013 11:12 mark wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Got a link to a good picture of these tiles (sahpe, don;t care about colour)?

Reply to
Tim Watts

refurb.,

Agreed I don't know what "metro tiles" are trade name, style, particular design from a given maker...

One possibilty is a flat tile but with a bevel on the face. I guess one could cut the bevel off but that would muck up the brick style layout. To look decent I suspect you need full and half tiles on alternate rows to abutt the external corner in both directions.

As for the corner, it's exposed. Tiles chip easy... Plastic corner strip of suitable size and colour to take the inevitable knocks without damage.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

and

mark

Reply to
mark

Metro tile is a generic name say like quarry tiles, not specific to any manufacturer. Yes, flat tiles with bevelled edges. So laid brick style, at the corner you'd get the thin edge of the whole tile alternating with the thicker edge of the half tile.

mark

Reply to
mark

à l' Paris Metro?

Graham.

Yes, I've noticed they often carry the names of London Underground stations. One things for sure at that Paris Metro, they didn't get them from Topps tiles or they'd have run out of money.

mark.

Reply to
mark

On Tuesday 25 June 2013 14:58 mark wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Right - those...

Hmm - I see they do not sell half tiles, which seems rather dozy.

And you cannot put the cut away from the edge because the neighbours are bevelled.

The only way I can see to do that is to use an external edge bead and quite a thick one at that. While ali bead would be fairly presentable, the grouting is going to be "interesting" where the bead meets a taper then a non taper alternating.

I think that is a type of tile I would veto on the grounds of PITA if SWMBO proposed it - there are similar "brick" tiles with no bevel that would be a lot easier to work with - a-la London Underground style.

Sorry - that's all I've got..

Reply to
Tim Watts

One way is to try and have only cut edges on external corners and use the u sual plastic corner beads. Otherwise, make sure you leave a group gap betwe en then tiles and the edging, and use very skillful grouting to blend the a lternate tiles. The bevel might only be 2mm. Or use "subway" tiles - without the bevel. I used the H.R.Johnson Prismatic s range - note these are 100mm x 200mm with 2mm grout gap - the tiles are s lightly smaller than the nominal size. This range also has good old fashion ed corner tiles and quadrants - at extortionate prices ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

One way is to try and have only cut edges on external corners and use the usual plastic corner beads. Otherwise, make sure you leave a group gap between then tiles and the edging, and use very skillful grouting to blend the alternate tiles. The bevel might only be 2mm.

I'm going to go with one of those methods. Not sure which, will have to see how the tiles work out at the internal corner. Meaning I don't want to shorten the tiles by an inch only to find I'm an inch short at the other end.

I shall go ahead and order the tiles. What's the worst that could happen? Spend a load of money and time and end up with a mess!

mark .

Reply to
mark