Subject Author Posted Replies

SDS drill sizes
I am digging some fence post holes using an auger and have hit a couple of stones 18 inches down just cant shift them so looking to get a longer SDS chisel off ebay to deal with it. They advertise as...
9
9

Glass cutting
I've got 5 one gallon demijons. I want to cut the bases off, so the remainder can be used to protect plants this Winter. Is it a straightforward job? TIA.
1
1

Nuclear start up company - don't laugh face-book was a start-up once.
I think most of this has been said already but if you have 5 minutes it is an interesting article. A quote from it. One recent paper estimated that nuclear power has prevented 1.84 million...
6
6

Hozelock conundrum
What I need is either a "double female" connector (which would be the opposite of the "double male" ones, and definitely not the 'hoze repair' item), or alternatively a threaded-tap-to-female...
47
47

OT Barometer Location
Hi all I have come by an old barometer - something like the item shown here (although not quite of the quality). Now I know that these devices measure atmospheric pressure, but I am not clear on how...
15
15

Brand new TV show celebrating the best in disaster-prone DIY!
Are you or someone you know a DIY disaster? Or do you have any video footage of your DIY-related misadventures? Do you live with someone who always insists on doing it themselves, instead of calling...
45
45

For them that like seeing some expert metal bashing
I have been watching some of the videos by this chap on youtube... At first I thought, oh yes someone who can hack about with a lathe. As time progresses however and you get into a few more of them,...
19
19

Garden Studio - Options for floor...
I'm having an artists studio built in the garden. It's for my wife - she paints. I can't make up my mind about the flooring. The building is 6M x 4M, is on a concrete base and will be 4x2 construction...
14
14

O.T. Cheapish Bluetooth headphones wanted
I'm looking for a pair of cheapish (maybe £25) Bluetooth headphones that I can use to listen to podcasts on my Samsung mobile phone. Hi-Fi sound is not a priority as I'm only listening to speech...
2
2

Broken Breaker. A Tale of Tool Hire.
Here's a not-so little story for your amusement... I rented a Makita HR5211C for a week to help with the knock-through on my kitchen extension. With the wall and the huge concrete lintel duly...
41
41

Jammed keysafe. Grrr.....
Social Services lent me a temporary keysafe for an elderly relative on Friday, until I could get over and instal a permanent one. It's this one: It seemed dodgy as they were trying to set the code but...
46
46

Paint and what it says on the tin.
My son has bought new primed cast iron drain pipes to replace the 120yo ones that have rusted away. He wanted to match the original paint, which was a sort of matt white. I went to a local supplier...
17
17

AEg dishwasher, not washing - motor/capacitor?
Hi Folks, Not been around for a while. Our dishwasher, AEG Favorit 50700 has stopped washing (as in nothing happens in terms of water being pumped around. It fills and drains ok) so I'm looking at a...
5
5

Polyurethane alkyd resin floor paint - any good?
red-2-5ltr/52442 Hi, I'm wondering if that paint is any good - has anyone used it? The application is 3 tiled external cills on my front bay windows. Reason: 2 are tiled with clay tiles and would...
2
2

Exterior white paint
What sort of paint is used to make the white traffic markings on roads and in car parks ? It seems good stuff. Is it available commercially ? Jim Hawkins
12
12