OT The best things in life are free

Trust me, they are not.
Two examples - Metro and the Evening Standard.
--
Adam

On 25/01/2014 19:48, ARW wrote:

Nah, ES smells sweeter than the Metro...
Working in London getting you down?
--
Adrian C

No. I am loving it.
--
Adam

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 19:48:33 -0000, "ARW"

Walking in London last year I had so many free newspapers like that shoved at us that if was possible to carry them home you could have free heat for the evening in a fireplace.
G.Harman
That depends what use you make of them. For fish and chips they have to be better than paid for ones. Brian

Londoners cannot do two things.
1. Server proper fish and chips 2. Pull pint of beer.
--
Adam

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 10:10:45 -0000

You need to come out to the country, such as Suffolk or Norfolk. Where the fish is landed, and the beer is brewed.
--
Davey.

beer is still brewed in Chiswick - which is part of London.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On 26/01/2014 11:24, charles wrote:

It depends where you go, I've had good fish and chips here, as well as good pints. I've also had truly awful fish suppers and beer, just as bad as some of the worst in Yorkshire and Lancashire.

And on the borders of Clapham:-
http://www.sambrooksbrewery.co.uk/
Sadly, Young's are no longer in Wandsworth.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

I can watch the fish landing at Filey and Barnsley has it's own brewery:-)
--
Adam

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 12:50:26 -0000

But they aren't in London, which was your complaint.
--
Davey.

There is always Billingsgate for the smell of fish.
--
Adam

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 12:50:26 +0000, ARW wrote:

But the oldest brewery in Englad is just 10 miles up the road from here. And they have at least one pub in London...Smithfield.
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 11:24:28 +0000, charles wrote:

Fullers might be the only large brewery still in London, since Youngs closed the Wandsworth site, but there's plenty of good small brewers, too.
scribeth thus

Could tell you a tale of some ale consumed right across the road from the Adnams Southwold brewery and the prat consuming was daft enough to go swimming afterwards;!..
Mind you some of us were listening to the trains with an ear to the rails for a silly bet after some pints of Theakstons old Peculier but this was many many years ago now;!..
--
Tony Sayer

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 20:25:19 +0000

Quite likely! I happen to be a shareholder in Adnams, so I know the place (Hic). The Lord Nelson is the place to go, just down the road, and there is a wonderful Museum in the Seamans' Mission next door. The Harbour Inn out at the harbour (!) can be ok for food, but to me, thinks too much of itself. If you find rails to listen to in Southwold, then you need to join the SR Trust: http://www.southwoldrailway.co.uk/
Once upon a time, one of the Hotels behind Adnams (The Swan?) had beer that came right through the wall direct from the Brewery.
--
Davey.

scribeth thus

Haven't been there for years now but must 'ere long:)..

Sweet;!, hope they get planning permission for their building bloody councils:(..

Yes I did wonder if that was true .. or not;!..
Lovely little town like Wells in Norfolk.. who needs to go further afield:?>..
--
Tony Sayer

3. Speak English correctly. 4. Offer directions.

But they are bloody good at handing out parking tickets. Yes I will appeal against it.
The bit that surprises me is how some of them treat the homeless bloke that is sleeping under our scaffolding.
--
Adam

You don't stand a chance. I once got nicked for driving through the Congestion Charge area without paying. I honestly did not know what to do. I appealed explaining my stupidity and that I had set satnav to avoid "toll charges". Eventually I got a 3 page letter back from them telling me to fuck off. I have always hated everything about London. How is the homeless bloke treated?