Thermostatic shower valve

How do you disassemble a thermostatic shower valve? I can't find a replacement anywhere, so am trying to service it. It's leaking out of the front. Is there an o-ring inside that I can replace?

Here are a couple of pics of the valve.

Charlie

Try here;

The Medway Handyman

I had one of these (different model but the same idea) that was leaking in the same way a few months ago. Quite a strong leak at that. I could strip mine down all the way (can't recall how but it wasn't hard - maybe a circlip or two and unscrewing one bit from another) but there was a delay in being able to order new seals.

I re-assembled and re-fitted it temporarily with a good slug of plumbing silicone grease and it hasn't leaked since. Might be worth a try in your case.

The hardest part was getting hold of some plumbing silicone grease during a period when I couldn't get to a PM during the day. I think I got it from Toolstation in the end.

(I should get around to ordering the seals just in case!)

Reply to
GMM

It looks as if you should be able to slide out the circlip/washer thingy at the bottom of the spline and then push the splined shaft inwards - and hopefully retrieve the innards at the other end.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yeah, I tried these guys but they couldn't identify a replacement valve. I also tried showerdoc but again no luck.

Reply to
Charlie

Sure that makes sense, there is a cir clip at the end. I tried removing it and pushing the end through the main body but it didn't easily move. My biggest fear is taking it apart and damaging something as I can't find a replacement anywhere.

How easy is it to break the internal parts of the valve? Or get it in a state where it is difficult to reassemble?

Reply to
Charlie

I don't honestly know - I've never had one of those apart. My earlier comments were based on the fact that the spline with the circlip under it looks similar to the top end of the innards of a basin tap - and that certainly comes apart in that manner. But then, a basin tap has far fewer components than your thermostatic mixer.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I don't think you'll break the internals as such but you may run a risk of damaging a seal or putting one back in the wrong way or place. Mine seemed to have very little inside it, which could be a bit disappointing given their cost(!) Although they may not have the same thing, I'm pretty certain the showerdoc site has some exploded diagrams for some models, which may give you a idea of what you'll find. It's unlikely you will find anything inside to help with your problem though, if it's leaking from the front, as that will be down to the seals you can already see, particularly the front one. My 'liberal dollop of grease and put back in approach' was only really intended to buy me the breathing space to work out what to replace it with but has given me far more mileage than I expected. It may do the same for you.

Reply to
GMM

it and pushing the end through the main body but it didn't easily move. My biggest fear is taking it apart and damaging something as I can't find a r eplacement anywhere.

state where it is difficult to reassemble?

Is it just the circlip that holds the central shaft inside the valve? I tri ed removing it and pushing it through but it went only about 3-4mm before g etting stuck on something. It has some give at this point. Am I right in th inking this is just one of the seals and that I needed to push a bit harder ? How hard do you need to push?

I realise I'm probably being over cautious, but without the availibility of a spare I don't want to be without somewhere to washa shower and bath :-) Hopefully some grease and reassembly will do the trick.

Reply to
Charlie

Certainly with a standard tap head gear, that's exactly what happens. Remove the clip, push, feel resistance, push harder & it comes away.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It's probably a seal catching internally and will yield if you give it a good shove but be careful not to damage the seal or you will lose the temp control. Of course, without knowing the precise design, it could be anything, so I would be cautious! Do you really need to take it apart any further? It's the seals you can already see around the outside that are causing the leak. If they are broadly intact, then the grease will pack it out and help it seal. I would also check the bore it sits in for damage or crap, which may cause the problem. Good luck!

Reply to
GMM

It's leaking right where the circlip is at the front of the unit, so I'm guessing there must be an internal seal that's leaking rather than one of the other ones the outside. Just a guess though.

Reply to
Charlie

That is the case with a tap head gear.

Reply to