Shower valve replacement gone wrong - don't have a bath either!

OK so I thought I'd try and replace the leaking shower valve (on/off not thermostatic). Managed to get it off but unfortunately so broken piece came out of the hole as well :-(

anybody suggest how I get the chrome fitting away from the cartridge valve.

Can anyone help me identify the cartridge make - there's no markings anywhere that I can find (might help when I get it off the chrome fitting admittedly)

Cheers

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Take out the circlip, and it should push out. However, I have tried to fix 2 showers in the past, and both were horrible things to get apart, as they were solid with limescale.

In the long run , I think it is far easier, and maybe cheaper, to just buy a new shower mixer, they are only £50 upwards now.

Reply to
A.Lee

OK, I got the circlip out and you're right it just popped out.

As you can see here, one of the seals looks like it's going so it could be that, alternatively it could be the little butterfly thing was already broken before I took it out:

still can't work out what make cartridge it is though? Can anyone help me?

Replacing the mixer is going to be difficult without re-tiling the whole bathroom (the previous owners didn't leave any spares). I'd rather try and replace the cartridge first.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

OK, I got the circlip out and you're right it just popped out.

As you can see here, one of the seals looks like it's going so it could be that, alternatively it could be the little butterfly thing was already broken before I took it out:

still can't work out what make cartridge it is though? Can anyone help me?

Replacing the mixer is going to be difficult without re-tiling the whole bathroom (the previous owners didn't leave any spares). I'd rather try and replace the cartridge first.

Charlie

Have you tried the Shower Doctor??

Baz

Yes, I did have a quick look earlier but I don't know which brand I'm even looking for. If the worse comes to the worst I just have to search through all the products and see if I can get a match.

Thanks for the suggestion

Reply to
Charlie

Send them a pic and they'll try to identify for you.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Is there a cap with a screw under it on the other side?

The cartridge problem I have had good results with simply taking it to a decent plumbers merchant and saying "have you got one that matches that?"

Reply to
John Rumm

Makes sense - will try that

Reply to
Charlie

No nothing.

Tried that yesterday, but perhaps I need to find a better plumbers merchant. Can anyone recommend a really good one in north LondoN

Reply to
Charlie

No nothing.

Tried that yesterday, but perhaps I need to find a better plumbers merchant. Can anyone recommend a really good one in north LondoN

Just send some photos to the Shower Doctor. Baz.

Reply to
Baz

Cheers Baz,

I spoke to them this morning and got the impression that they deal with this sort of thing quite often. Fingers crossed they'll come up with something :-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Shower Doctor got back to me with some bad news - they are unable to identify it. Been to two plumbers merchants and they haven't even tried to help :-(

Can anyone recommend a decent plumbers' merchant in North London or offer any other suggestions?

Thanks

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Try these ?

The Medway Handyman

Dave,

You are a lifesaver - those guys had hundreds of them and found exactly what I needed.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie