Help!! replacement shower panel

Guys (and diy gals...) I need your help!

My mother who has come to stay has just managed to break one of the tempered glass panels that comprise our shower enclosure. Quite how, I don't know, and fortunately she's not hurt, but we are now left with a shower that we cannot use.

I called the enclosure manufacturer, Coram, only to find that the model is discontinued (surprise, surprise), and to add insult to injury, their new models are not even the same dimensions, meaning that we would have to get an entire new enclosure and fit it.

Since we were planning to put our flat on the market in the next few weeks, we are not unreasonably (I feel) p*ssed off....

Anyway, I just thought - maybe I can get a replacement panel made out of see-through toughened plastic.

The broken panel is simply rectangular (20cm wide x 182 cm high), and has 2 holes drilled through at the top and bottom for runners to attach to the frame. The glass was probably about 3mm thick.

Does anyone know anyone who might sell something like this, ideally in the London region?

Much appreciation to any replies.

Reply to
Jim

In message , Jim writes

Or maybe a glaziers could furnish a suitable piece of toughened glass?

Reply to
chris French

A glass shop should be able to get a piece of toughened glass made up to match, if you can work out what the exact measurements were. (or you could go for laminated if you will be having mother over again before you sell the place;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's not that difficult to break 3mm tempered glass ;) The majority of the enclosures we were looking at t'other day were 6mm which sounds rather more durable ;)

A proper glass merchants/shop, if you can still find one, should be able to make up a piece of toughened glass to fit.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Thanks for all the replies. I'm wondering whether the four corner holes will be difficult to make in toughened glass.

I had a quick search on the net and found this company

sells sheets of 3mm and 4mm clear plastics that can be cut to size and more importantly drilled (for the holes).

Can anyone think of any reason not to use this approach? seems to me to be much simpler than getting glass cut to fit and (once again....) drilling holes in it.

Reply to
Jim

I think the usual procedure is to start with ordinary glass, cut it to size, cut the holes, then toughen it (heat to 650 C, then surface cooled with air jets).

Just make sure your measurements are accurate!

Reply to
OG