Frameless Shower Glass - to miter or not to miter

Hi,

I have two competing contractors to install shower glass. One suggest mitering the corner where two panels of glass meet at the 90 degree angle. The other says that it's not a good idea because it won't look good.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

I don't think it will look good. Does that guy have a sample of how it might look?

Reply to
evodawg

Why do you think not? (I have not seen a sample, but I don't find butt angles particularly nice.)

Reply to
Aaron Fude

I'd like to see how it looked, a sample would be nice. Doesnt seem like it would be a big deal to have him make up a sample. Wondering how strong a joint it would be, probably the same. Guess I'm just use to seeing a butt joint in this application. How much more for the miter?

Reply to
evodawg

Better than a sample, ask to check out a completed job in person. Small samples can lie, full jobs don't.

RicodJour

I had no idea a corner for glass could be mitered. Seems it would chip or break with ease if it was bumped.

Reply to
Norminn

For terminal klutzes like me, frameless glass shower stalls (or even doors) are out of the question, period. I realize the tempered glass makes gravel, not knives, when you break it. But those panels cost a fortune to replace, and take weeks to get installed. I don't want the glass to be a structural element, I just want it to ride in its nice shock-absorbing gasket, repelling water.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Why do you think not? (I have not seen a sample, but I don't find butt angles particularly nice.)

Reply to
charlie

--

Uhhhh...... They bevel them or mitre them and _then_ temper.

Reply to
Doug Brown

duh. where did i specify the sequence of operations?

however, the thin mitered edge will make a chip much more likely, causing the glass to explosively deconstruct more likely.

Reply to
charlie

If either of them chips they 'splodes. Don't bang it with anything harder than a plastic shampoo bottle and it'll be fine.

RicodJour